Thread: 1980 T Handle lock

Default 1980 T Handle lock

Hi all... just found this site and it looks like I'll be visiting you guys a lot!
    My question is that I'm trying to replace the lock cylinder on the T handle and I don't have the key to get the old one out. I have the new cylinder and I see on the handle the little hole to depress the clip, but how do you get the tumblers to depress w/o the key? Is there a trick? I took it to a locksmith and after about 5 minutes he asked if I could leave it, but I didn't have the time.
    Thanks for any input,
    Mark

It's actually quite simple, just takes a little bit of PB Blaster, and some patience.

justih.org/Binder-Bench/showthread.php?t=3147&highlight=handle

---Nice write up but a bit of a bad choice of wording on Bill's part. "You can use the screw end of a slide hammer", would be a better choice of words. Reason being is there is no impact on the tumblers when you use a key to pull it out, so there really is no need for a slide hammer. If the tumbler doesn't come out gently, keep trying. Slamming a door that didn't need to be slammed either breaks the hinges or snaps the dog's neck. BFH doesn't apply to everything... LOL

---Safety glasses can save your life here if you are using a screw alone. 20yr old kid in Michigan sewing leather was pulling the glovers' needle through saddle leather with needle-nosed pliers (something many of us have done) and when the leather let go; Well, let's say he didn't just loose an eye.
    ---Thank you,
    -T.R.E.Jr. (Fortiter Et Recte & Soyez Sage)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    =StoneThrower
    53 Farmall H=Heinz
    49 Plymouth Spcl. Dlx. 4-Door Sedan=Papapalooza
    49 IH fridge=unnamed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    =unnamed

=unnamed

Thanks for your advice...I ended up going to another locksmith and he picked it and got it out for $7.