Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sping over axle

Default Sping over axle

I am thinking about lifting my 78 scout II. What are the cons of putting the springs on top of the axles? Will it handle differently? Does anyone know about how much that will lift it? I'm thinking 4" to 4 1/2".

axle wrap, and bad driveline angles are some side affects of spring over lifts. Both can be remedeed.

Not trying to pirate your thread, but im planning to do this conversion on my scout 80. Ive read somewhere that people swap out springs to get flatter ones. I've also read that people just run the original springs. My question is will the stock 80 springs hold up to a SOA conversion? Im worried about axle wrap, and the lack of a swaybar.

What are you calling axle wrap? I assume that bad driveline angles refers to the u-joints?

I am in the slow slow progress of doing the SOA as well on a scout 2...
    I finally cut and turned the tubes on the front D44 to fix the angles, interestingly, they were not correct from the factory, one was about 2 degrees different than the other.

Im also wondering up how much im gonna sway.. 8" lift with SOA and a shackle reverse.

will know wheen i can drive it i guess haha
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

Quote Originally Posted by txtoolman View Post
    What are you calling axle wrap? I assume that bad driveline angles refers to the u-joints?
    you get axle wrap when the torque from your drive shaft meets the axle. This causes the pinion angle to change and "wrap" your springs like an "S". Remedy for this is a track bar.

When i say bad driveline angles i meant both at the driveshaft u-joints, and in the caster on your steering. Cure for this is to rotate your axle so the pinion wont bind with the driveshaft. Problem now is on the front axle your caster will change. This will cause problems when it comes time to take it down the road.

So as I place the spings on top of the axle I need to turn it toward the the trans and the from differential? If I do that won't that change the oil level in housings? What about the steering pitman arm, does it need to be extended? What about the shocks do they need to be longer or can I move them up to the top of the axle also?

As with any lift all your steering angles are going to slightly change.. depending on how many inches you will most likely need a new drag link i would think. (im gettin a custom Z link fabed) Im gona stick with my stock pitman tho.

If your worried about the oil level, buy a after market cover for like 30-60$ and it will have its opening on the top section instead of center - bottom whenever the stock one is.
    BUT really.. with gears slinging oil all over, the oem cover would probably be fine i should think.

May need 2" longer shocks, might be able to get away with it , No comment I don't have shocks yet on the front end heh. And i have some extended towers im gonna weld on.. so ill obviously need longer shocks lol
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.

~T.J.

I wonder what is a better option a suspension lift or the SOA? It seems like I'll have most of the same problems either way. I guess you just have the option of raising it even higher after the springs are over the axles.

SOA is far harder then a standard lift i from my experience haha , you have to modify the housing in the front... which is not fun. What a friend of mine suggested to me was SOA in the back and then get some extended leaf springs from a junkyard and some new spring mounts and just do standard in the front, but silly me i like to do things the hard way

~T.J.

I like my soa but did a quicky job on the front and didn't turn it. Now it is back appart and I too am in slow progress of modding the front housing. I can say that axle wrap has never been a problem with my '79 but it is a terra II and has a thick overload spring in each of the rear spring packs. My problem was eating front drivelines and pulling front tires off their beads cause of caster and driveline problems.
    I made a Z-link from my orig. drag link but I think when I cut and turn the housing it will run right into the spring so I will prob. end up redoing it and redrilling the hole so the link sits on top at the knuckle side.