Thread: 1965 IH 342 eng.

Default 1965 IH 342 eng.

I am at wits end. We have tried I think 7 or 8 carbs. 2 of which we rebuilt the others just put them on. We have replaced the points, sparks plugs 2 times as the first ones fouled out. The carbs. all will either not idle or it doesn't have enough top end to pull its on weight. It does not have governors, did some of these engines have them when they were new? I do have an electric fuel pump, and even tired a pressure regulator when most of the carbs. seemed to be putting way too much fuel in. Any help is appreciated. Sid

Quote Originally Posted by sturner View Post
    I am at wits end. We have tried I think 7 or 8 carbs. 2 of which we rebuilt the others just put them on. We have replaced the points, sparks plugs 2 times as the first ones fouled out. The carbs. all will either not idle or it doesn't have enough top end to pull its on weight. It does not have governors, did some of these engines have them when they were new? I do have an electric fuel pump, and even tired a pressure regulator when most of the carbs. seemed to be putting way too much fuel in. Any help is appreciated. Sid
    The 345 (and the 304 and 392 and 266) are timed off the number 8 cylinder. Set the timing at as close to 0 degrees as you can.

Set the dwell at 30 degrees, +/- 2. That's about .016 gap.

Any small 2 barrel will work with this engine. Block off the vacuum advance when you are setting the timing and adjusting the idle. They don't need a lot of gas, but they do need to be timed properly.

Autolite 85 plugs or equivalent. Do not use the 303 plugs that are listed in some of the computers and books at the auto parts stores.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak