Thread: windshield wipers

Exclamation windshield wipers

the person i bought this from rerouted the fuel to a electric pump bypassing the vacuum for the wiper motor, can i still use the mechanical pump for the vacuum to run the wipers even though there is no fuel running through the pump?

Quote Originally Posted by dodge97 View Post
    the person i bought this from rerouted the fuel to a electric pump bypassing the vacuum for the wiper motor, can i still use the mechanical pump for the vacuum to run the wipers even though there is no fuel running through the pump?
    Yes, or you can get an electric vacuum pump off a wrecked diesel truck on the cheap and install a fuel pump block off plate. It would eliminate the wiper slowdown on hard accelleration.

Default vacuum hose

so take off the old fuel pump (mechanical) and replace the vacuum hose to a electric one mounted on the fire wall?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by dodge97 View Post
    so take off the old fuel pump (mechanical) and replace the vacuum hose to a electric one mounted on the fire wall?
    Trying to fully understand your question. If there is a small aluminum firewall mounted pump, it very well may be the remote wiper fluid pump as they are common on 800s. The wiper fluid hose looks a lot like vacuum hose. That is, unless you are saying you are getting one to mount on the firewall in which case the answer to your question is yes.

does anyone have a diagram on how all the vacume tubes are routed to the switches and wiper motors??

I do not have one.

Do you have a picture of this electric vacuum pump, or maybe cars/trucks its on, or the what type of diesel truck.

If You ever intend to actually drive in rain or worse, snow loose the vacuum wipers. A belt driven vacuum pump might have enough volume but leakage in the individual motors and valves make them darn near useless. I changed My 800 to electric and can now go uphill in snow without leaning out the window. I still have one modification left to do and the conversion will be perfect.