Thread: clutch slave cyl question

Default clutch slave cyl question

I've searched the sites old threads, still don't have an answer to this question.

First, my problem, clutch slave cylinder leaks, and I tried the three parts places in my town, autozone, napa, and finally o'reillys. Nobody has a new, rebuilt, unit or a rebuild kit for my 63 scout80, or seems to be able to order one.

My question, does anyone know of a slave cyl from another make of truck, that I could pick from the local salvage yard that is close enough to bolt into my scout? The clerk at oriellys got a slave unit from an early 80's ranger that was close in size, but the pushrod was different length and diameter.

I saw a post from stu that listed a lifttruck cyl. and site, but would like to try to get this fixed this weekend.

Your thoughts, gentlemen?

i went into NAPA on monday with the same query. If you get somebody who wants to take the time and search for you they can find parts. Just so you know, NAPA's number for the actual cylinder is no good anymore. Now that # is an exhaust part. They did however find the # for a rebuild kit. He looked it up and there was only one left in the country (according to there computer). It was in CA, NOW its on it's way to NY. Cost is $16.99.

I'll post the part # when i get the part.

Default slave cyl

A brand new one is 23 bucks. There are at least three recent threads in this forum with part numbers and the links to order them online. Why rebuild it if you can buy one new? Not the easiest to rebuild and a waste of money if the casting is pitted.
    Last edited by stu simpson; 11-05-2009 at 03:19 PM.

I was thumbing through the parts book for an early Scout II recently and noticed that Right Hand Drive vehicles all seemed to use hydraulic clutches while the LHD had mechanical. I wonder if hydraulic parts for those are the same as for earlier Scouts, and if replacement parts might be more available in other countries, perhaps England or New Zealand, where they still drive on the wrong side of the road?

Stu,
    You are right on this one. I was just hoping that someone had a silver bullet solution for this one that involved a junk yard. I am always looking for an excuse to go there, and believe it or not, my 16 year old son has never been to the junk yard, and was really looking forward to it. I know of two in the area that have some old stuff, and what the heck, we are going anyway! Do you really need a good excuse? To me these places are really just "museums" for old gearheads like myself.

Thanks for the previous post on the slave cyl. at the lifttruck site. Just a quick question, are the slave cylinders on this site exact matches for the scout one, or something close that would work?

Also, there is a flexible line that goes between the solid line and the cylinder on mine and seems to be kinked. Do I need to replace this, or can I just run a new solid line from the master to the slave? Is the solid line just brake line, or is there a special material for hydraulic clutches? I am getting conflicting info from the different parts places in my town.

Sorry about the windy reply, I just can't thank you guys enough for the sage wisdom here, and someday hope to be able to contribute some myself.