Thread: Need some help on resto

Default Need some help on resto

I recently purchased a 1964 Travelette (4x4, 266-V8) and because this is my first IH I could use a little help. My truck has 17.5in, 6 bolt wheels. Unfortunately, 17.5in tires are hard to come by. Does anybody know where I can buy some wheels that will fit on these axles (I think they're Dana 60's?) that are in a more common size? Or at least some tires (with a decent amount of tread, I plan on using the 4 wheel drive). Side mirrors are also something I need to make it streetable, can I buy original ones or should I just get some from NAPA or Autozone? A fuel tank is the last hard-to-find thing I need. Allthough "ScoutParts.com" has some, they're $600! Can I just use a polyurethane boat tank or something? Any help and general wisdom or some do's and don'ts are greatly appreciated.

Default just a thought

wheels i dont know old ford 1 ton i think. mirrors it all depends on what you want really don't know what was stock have a pair of west coasters on my old IH as for fuel tank if it fits where you want it just put it in. friend has some old tanks off his 69 IH that's in Tri-cities washington i know he will sell them don't know if they will fit good luck

The 6 lug wheels were used by Dodge for the power wagon until 61. The Dodge Power Wagon guys buy them in bulk from Diamond Wheel in Wisconsin. They aren't cheap.

The 3/4 ton (1200) travelette has a D44 front and a either a D60 or RA10 rear. The 1 ton has D70 front and either a D70 or RA15 rear. The RA axles are IH made from an Eaton design. They will swap as complete axles.

The axles from a 69-73 IH 1200 or 1210 will direct swap to the 1200, and likewise, the 1300 will take the later 1300 or 1310 axles. The lug pattern changed from the 6 bolt to the standard ford or dodge 8 bolt in 69. Chevy wheels have the same lug pattern, but the center hole is too small for the hubs.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Question Wheels

I am having the same issue with wheels. My 1970 1300 has split rims that I am wanting to get rid of. I have been told that later model wheels of another dually will fit on my 1970. Just have to make certain the replacement wheels are "lug centered" and NOT "hub centered". This is all what I have been told, will find out for sure real soon.
    I also need a replacement fuel tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    I am having the same issue with wheels. My 1970 1300 has split rims that I am wanting to get rid of. I have been told that later model wheels of another dually will fit on my 1970. Just have to make certain the replacement wheels are "lug centered" and NOT "hub centered". This is all what I have been told, will find out for sure real soon.
    I also need a replacement fuel tank.
    Yes, the wheels you have on your 1300 are also common to ford and dodge if they are 8 lug. Ford until about 93, and I don't know when dodge changed. If you have a different lug pattern than the 8 on 6.5, you'll have to match that. Some of them were equipped with a different pattern, like some of the camper specials.

You can find a replacement fuel tank at Coonrods in Colorado, IHOnly, or Outback Parts that I can think of off the top of my head. I don't know who else has them. The pickups and travelalls had more than one tank, so you have to specify front, back, left, or right, and where the filler tube is.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

got a friend that has the tank you need i know he will sell them he has them in his shed for alot less than 600 dollars let me know