Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What all is involved in doing a lift?

Default What all is involved in doing a lift?

I'll admit up front that I'm a total newbie so please, bear with me. :-) I'd like to put a 4 inch lift on a '79 Terra... A suspension lift, I think :-) A set of springs, U-bolts, shocks, etc... Told you I was a complete newbie. :-) I was curious to hear what kits you recommend (Rough Country for example, others?). What other things would have to be modified on the Terra for a 4" suspension lift (steering components? brake lines?, driveline parts?). What are your thoughts on suspension lifts versus body lifts? Any info. would be much appreciated.

In my opinion, I prefer the spring lift because of the floating body look you get with a body lift. Also, I have read in other forums, seeing how I have not installed my lift yet, that a spring lift helps with the handling. Hope this helps.

Suspension is the way to go, I've installed many lifts and even one on my buddies scout. It was a 4" and it was the easiest lift I've ever installed. Stay away from the body lifts, too much involved to make them look good. If I remember right there was no relocating of lines involved in the scout 4" lift. If you have ever used a wrench and get the instructions with the lift, you can easily install your lift yourself.

It just so happens I have a 79 terra. I did a spring over axle lift and it was the best thing I ever did. The only bad thing is I have some front driveling bind. Now I have the front housing out and am doing a cut and turn on it for caster and driveline angle correction. I ran for a few years with just a spring over and welded spiders though and was unstopable.

Hi all,
    I was just surfing the web for information on this and found this forum very helpful so far.
    I have an 80 Terra that im just about done getting back into working condition and I'm also looking at putting on a 4" and hopefully 33's on it and I was just wondering how this lift went?
    I've pretty much decided on a suspension lift because in the process I put in a 33 gal. tank and it hangs really low on the stock springs.
    So any kind of an update on this project would be awesome. thanks!

What all is involved in just doing a soa lift and how much lift would you get on a 79 scout?

Quote Originally Posted by rwc View Post
    What all is involved in just doing a soa lift and how much lift would you get on a 79 scout?
    REAR SOA:

(keep in mind I'm leaving out a lot of details)

Grind off the old spring perches.
    Weld on new spring perches.
    Get new U-bolts.
    Bolt it up.

Net gain: Width of spring pack plus width of axle, about 6 inches.

FRONT SOA:

(leaving out more details, and it's a lot more work)

Same amount of lift.

I'm leaving the details out simply because if you're not familiar with the process, you need to talk to somebody who sells the scout kit, such as IHOnly in California. It's simple in theory, but it is a lot of work, and it is not cheap. Having the parts is not enough. It requires some skill and knowledge so that the rig will handle when you are done. This normally includes cutting and turning the front axle to correct the steering/suspension geometry.

A spring lift is much less expensive, much less work, and an excellent first step when you're learning what causes what. Still costs major dollars, but not as difficult to do.

Edit: Triangle makes a good 4 inch lift kit. SSS sells them.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Let me see if I have it straight:

-A SOA and a body lift are the same thing, and this is what Allan E described earlier in the thread. May cause the "floating body" look. May get some front driveline bind.

-A suspension lift and a spring lift are the same thing. You may get better handling with this method.

Does anyone have before and after pictures of a scout with each type of lift?

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by seanmjones View Post
    Let me see if I have it straight:

-A SOA and a body lift are the same thing, and this is what Allan E described earlier in the thread. May cause the "floating body" look. May get some front driveline bind.

-A suspension lift and a spring lift are the same thing. You may get better handling with this method.

Does anyone have before and after pictures of a scout with each type of lift?

Sean
    Lift Springs are springs with more arch, raises the height of the frame vs axles.
    SOA=Spring Over Axle. Moves the axles below the springs. Stock location is above (inside) the springs.
    Body lift = raise the body off of the frame by installing thicker mounts.

Please go back and re-read with that information in mind. It will probably make more sense. Sorry for being unclear.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

so an SOA is another form of a spring lift, correct? That is what I have basically gathered from reading a lot.
    also, to anyone that has done a 4+" spring lift, did you have any problems with the drive shaft? I know on the Scout ii you have to lengthen the break lines to reach, but what else do you have to do. I'm lookin at doin a 4" myself and don't really want to deal with a new drive shaft on my own (i.e. might have a shop do it)