Thread: 1904 questions

Default 1904 questions

Im having problems with the 1904 carb on my 196 4cyl. The engine will only run with the choke 3/4 of the way open, and is running at what sounds to be around 3000rpms. Nothing happens when i adjust the idle screw. I took the side cover off to reveal quite a bit of rust in there. The float and jet move good, but the horizontal "push rod" is stuck. I figure this carb had water in it at some point. Probably not worth rebuilding.

I also have the carb off my 152, which i believe is also a 1904 series. However the base is different than the 196 carb. My question is, are the bases interchangable between these two carbs? Is the jetting the same?

Lastly, I read somewhere that someone used a Rochester 2bbl carb on their 196. Does anyone have info on that? I have a Rochester 2G carb left over from a jeep build.

Thanks in advance
    Joe
    Last edited by hillbilly4008; 11-09-2009 at 04:09 PM.

Hillbilly,

I am no expert on carbs, but bought a 63 scout and had similar problems, it would only fire up when I primed it, and wouldn't even stay running. Anyway, I found a rebuild kit at autozone, $15.00 and cleaner with a basket to dip the carb/parts into (looks like a gallon of paint). NAPA had one too, but cost twice as much. Anyway, I cleaned and rebuilt it, it was very easy to do. If I can do it, anyone can. The engined fired right up and ran fine.

I also replaced the fuel filter on the pump, and ran a line from a gallon of gas instead of hooking up the fuel line from the tank, which is really fouled up. Here is a link I found on the 1904 with detailed info on tear down and rebuild.
    http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/Carbs/H..._IHC_53B2.html

Hopes this helps, I have read here that the Holley is not the best carb, but is sure simple to work on.

Dan

I traded a buddy of mine a Carter AFB for a Weber 32/36 today. Now i just have to get that adapter ordered.

Im going to try it with stock jets, untill i can figure out the best combo for the 196.

FWIW i swapped the carb bases from the two 1-bbl carbs today. The bore on the two carbs is an 1/8" different, but the bases worked. After i put it all togeather and put it back on the engine i still had the same problem. Fed up with the Holley carbs i decided the best route is definatly going to be Weber.

Default another ?

i've got a 220 engine with a 1904 on it. at about 1500 rpm it starts chugging like it's not getting fuel. Is there any way to adjust fuel in the top end?