Thread: rear hub on scout 79

Default rear hub on scout 79

One wheel is locked up on the rear or my 79 scout. I have the wheel and lugs off but is there something else holding the drum on? I have sprayed it with pb blaster but it still won't pop loose.

look behind the drum there should be a little rubber plug. After you pull that plug out you can access the adjuster for the rear brake,adjust the shoes in a little and that should lossen up the drum. After that if it is still stuck a 3lb mull always works wonders.

does it have those little clips on the studs? sorry had to ask old friend had that problem

No clips John but a little piece of metal up round the top...I can't make out if it's got screws in it or not. I'll loosen the brake and get the big hammer. I can feel it wiggle a "little" but I didn't want to waylay it not knowing. In the rebuilding of this I am going to go ahead and do brakes and wheel bearing all the way around while I'm this deep in it. Itll be good to drive it one day. Thanks.

dont go postal on it...tap on it from behind around the edge and try to work it off evenly.

---Jesse Raymond has the idea in post #2 of this thread. There is most likely a lip/ridge formed around the outside of the drum, where the shoes don't contact. The shoes have worn into the drum and with them in the extended position, you cannot get the drum over them to remove it.

---Release the pressure on the brake pads by adjusting the self-adjusting "star wheel" and pulling the brake shoes inward. You will need two screwdrivers or the correct tools and I would also suggest a service manual since it sounds like this is pretty much your first time doing brakes... if shoes-to-drum is the case here. Brakes aren't something you "tinker" with and I'd like to see ya round these parts for some time.

---If it is rust holding them in place, you don't want to smack the inside out either. There is an area to hit with a hammer, on the flange side, which contains the holes for the lugs... that the lug nuts go on. This part is thicker than the rest of the drum; The 45 edge around the outside: You would be taught in automotive class to hit ONLY that area of a drum 3 times, 120 apart and it should* come unglued... lol, but most example vehicles in Auto 101 weren't IHs. You also only use a rubber mallet or dead blow... unless you're prepared to crack the drum (people cross roads without looking both ways all the time also, doesn't mean people don't get hit). You also might try "a thousand taps" (LOL) around the "lugs" with a hammer, and two large screwdrivers inserted between the drum and backing plate, 180 apart. Apply a little outward pressure to the drum, while you tap around* the center hub on the axle shaft, carefully not to peen and roll the outer lip of the hub.

-SERVICE MANUAL

---Also, take the drums in to have them checked. It should be marked on the edge what minimum specs are. See if they can be turned and if not, be prepared to spend roughly $100 each for drums. No, nothing else crosses to IH drums. NAPA IIRC has lifetime drums, well had them and liked to argue it only applied to "manufacturer's defect" and "every type of wear is normal"... so, heat em and throw em in cold water... LOL. Autozone has a 2 year warranty. Light Line Parts dealers can get you good drums also. Not sure of the price or warranty, but it's only a phone call away.
    Last edited by Thomas; 11-12-2009 at 04:17 AM.
    ---Thank you,
    -T.R.E.Jr. (Fortiter Et Recte & Soyez Sage)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    =StoneThrower
    53 Farmall H=Heinz
    49 Plymouth Spcl. Dlx. 4-Door Sedan=Papapalooza
    49 IH fridge=unnamed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    =unnamed

=unnamed

yeah im just a little more back country than thomas...lol

That was it. Worked the drum off last night with hammer and wonderbar prying whilst hitting the back. Wheel turns fine........brake job to follow. I did get the service manual....well worth the bucks, but help here is equally benificail. Thanks guys!