Thread: new tank?

Default new tank?

is it possibale to put a tank from a early chevy impala between the frame rails of a scout 800a, the tank has the filler tube low and to the back of the tank?
    then cover it up with the license plate hinge?

Default tank?

would something like this work?
    20 gallons (76 litres)
    37 1/4" x 30" x 6 3/4"
    Impala Biscayne Caprice Gas Fuel Tank 65-66 GM37C
    Attached Images Attached Images

hi there.

did you ever this tank? what did you go with?

Hey, I'm researching this very topic.

My measurements for the area behind the rear axle and between the frames is 28" WIDE, 19" LONG, 15" DEEP. This will get you about a 15 gallon tank.

1985 CJ7 tank will fit in the space.

The problem is the filler neck. I want my filler to be located below the passangers side tail light. But to get the rubber tube from the filler neck to the tank neck the rubber tube needs to pass between the frame and the underside of the body. A Scout II frame dips down once it passes over the rear axel. The 80 & 800 remain flat and there is no clearence for the tube.

One solution for this is to remove some material from the floor board and side wall of the inner fender well, but I dont want to sacrifice interior space if I dont have to.

I've been looking at fuel cells too, but they all seem to have the filler neck located directly in the center of the tank. I dont want to have to lean over my tail gate to fill my tank. Nor do I want to remove whatever I have in the back of my Scout to access that filler neck.

If any of you have converted your 80 or 800 to a single tank I sure would like to learn how you did it and what you used.
    1967 Scout 800 V8.