Thread: 65 Scout 80 Gas Tank Mojo...

Default 65 Scout 80 Gas Tank Mojo...

Having an issue with the dual gas tanks - the drivers side works fine, but when I toggle to the passenger tank, the Scout eventually sputters out. I replaced the entire fuel line from the passenger tank to the toggle...but no fix. Before I tear into the toggle, then the fuel pump, I thought I'd ask you guys. Ever have this problem? How do I fix it? I'm not having fun just filling 1 tank all week!

There are a couple of ways to fix this problem. It's caused by two possible problems:

1. Either the selector valve needs to be replaced or rebuilt (RV supply stores often have them) or you can use the fuel tank slector solenoid from an 81 ford E150 Econoline van with a 302. Actually, any engine, but you know the parts places. Some people can't function without doing what the computer tells them. For the guys with brains, the year and model will do.

2. Your gas tank has a clog in it. You will need to drop the tank and clean it out. Kind of a pain, but probably worth the effort.

The way to figure this out is pretty simple. You drain the tank into a gas can. If you get good flow for several gallons, your tank is probably okay. Fix the switch. If not, the pickup tube is clogged. Obviously, you will need to be sure you have at least a few gallons in the tank. Can't drain what's not there.

If the tank drains slowly, you might try blowing some compressed air back through the tube. It might work for a while, but you'll still end up having to clean it out. Sometimes it loosens up the crud and the filter can catch it.

One last thing. Put a fuel filter in line BEFORE that selector switch. Got one already? Since you just put in a fresh fuel line, you already know if you put one there. There may be a piece of crud (rust, dirt, etc) stuck in the slector valve. Worth a look.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

the toggle switch does not change the tanks the selector is in the floorboard at the back left of the drivers seat the toggle only changes the gauge

Default Filter?

Thanks, Allen...Just wondering, does the pick-up tube (inside the tank) have any kind of filter on the end of it? If so, can it be pulled and cleaned/replaced? I'm planning on working on it Saturday, so just thinking of a series of things to check.

There was probably a filter on the pickup tube at one time. Good idea to replace it. Might be a source of clog.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

It's been 3 sinse boldzie posted here, so this is more for the folks who are searching this forum for possible trouble shooting tips.

I wanted to give one more possible cause of fuel not flowing. My Scout had a rubber line that stretched from the passangers side tank to the selector and this rubber line was swolen shut.
    1967 Scout 800 V8.