Thread: 78 scout 2 real bad body help!!!!!

Default 78 scout 2 real bad body help!!!!!

HI,
    HAVE A 78 SCOUT 2. 304,727, CHAIN TRANSFER. RESCUED IT FROM A JUNK YARD 4 YRS AGO. YOU ALL HAVE BEEN HELPFUL AS I'VE WORKED ON MECHANICS WHICH ARE IN PRETTY GOOD SHAPE NOW. BUT I'M AT A CROSSROADS. THE BODY IS JUNK. I'M NOT OUT TO SHOW RESTORE THIS TRUCK, BUT THERE'S NOTHING TO WORK WITH. PO PATCHED OVER FLOORS; ALL CENTER TUB CROSS BRACKETS,ETC. ARE SHOT, PO HAS HOMEMADE BRACES WELDED IN, BODY MOUNTS ARE LOOSE OR MISSING(REPLACED WITH WOOD SHIMS) PO PATCH PANELED QUARTERS BUT ALSO BROUGHT PIECES OF ANOTHER TRUCK UP AND OVER INNER QUARTERS(i CAN'T TELL WHAT'S WHAT) ALL WHEEL WELLS ARE SHOT. I COULD TRY COSMETIC FIXES BUT THERE IS JUST TOO MUCH STUFF WRONG. I'VE BEEN DRIVING IT LIKE THIS FOR 4 YEARS(HIGHWAY SPEEDS) BUT I THINK, GOD FORBID, IF I GOT IN A WRECK, THE WHOLE BODY WOULD DISCONNECT. I DON'T WELD AND AM UNABLE TO DO WHAT I SEE YOU GUYS DO MYSELF. ALSO CAN'T PUT A FORTUNE IN THIS THING BUT I LIKE IT. IT'S 4 INCH LIFT AND HAS A GOOD LOOK TO IT. WILL TRY TO GET SOME PICTURES UP. ANY INPUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED. HOW HARD AND HOW MUCH $ TO PUT A FIBERGLAS BODY ON IT? WHO HAS THEM? ANY OTHER IDEAS ABOUT BODY I HAVE? ANY OTHER THOUGHTS? IF I SELL, HOW MUCH IS FAIR PRICE TO ASK? THANKS

Default Pictures

Here are pics. They show l rear quarter where there seems to be one piece of metal welded to another under tons of bondo. Both quarters are bulged from the center back almost like another piece of fender was put on top. Weld seams go over top of truck and down into inner quarter. Another shows patch floors welded on top of originals. Another shows some of bracing problems through r rear wheel opening. Rocker panels are new but not attached to any center tub supports,etc etc. You'll get the idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

see if you can find another body to put on you frame. where in the country are you at?

I like that one piece front grill. Do you know where that came from?

I am not sure but I believe it was on the sport? models or maybe the ssll's. It was on the truck when I got it.

The front doesn't look that bad.

The body mounts are bad, but nothing someone couldn't fix.

Replace all of the other body mounts.

The skin on the side can be replaced.

Nothing to terrible in the pictures.

SCOUTS RUST.
    Desperately trying to get rid of the Scooby stripe and recently ordered lift!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by NVScouter
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Sweet then you can throw bullet hole stickers and stuff on em and drive around saying RAWR!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStarScout View Post
    I like that one piece front grill. Do you know where that came from?
    It's the SS II model grille. You can check 'em out on Super Scouts.

I would be careful of the fiberglass body. I have one and it's not as great as it would seem. There's fitment, gasketing/sealing and maintenance issues. And it's VERY expensive. I think the bare tub alone is around $4500. I know a guy in PA that's a Scout body genius. PM me and I'll send you his contact info.

Thank you for help. Bluescout, I can't PM (not enough posts). My email is:tradewind111@verizon.net for body guy in PA.Glas body is out due to cost. ALso, can anyone tell me how quarters are assembled (how many layers;inner outer etc. My left quarter is such a mess, I can't figure out what it is supposed to look like. Thanks

luv swiss cheez!