Thread: 4 barrel OR 2 barrel

Default 4 barrel OR 2 barrel

I have both a 4 barrel and 2 barrel carb and intake setup for a 345. I'm wondering which one i should go with for gas mileage? Not worried about power. i would think the 2 barrel, but i've heard others go differently. some advice would be great. thanks

Default 4 barrell or 2 barrell

Which manifold and carb is on the Scout now?
    Bill

4 barrel has smaller primaries than the 2 barrel, especially a spread bore.
    If you use the 2 barrel, you'll want no larger than 325 cfm for the same reason. The bigger the carb, the more your mileage will suffer, and the sloppier the throttle response.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

you'll get better mileage with the 4bbl only if you keep off the secondaries, as mentioned this is because the primaries are usually smaller on a 4bbl compaired to a 2bbl. My 345 has a 2bbl and i'll probably keep is because if i fit the 4bbl i'll probably use it

actually mine is running LPG at the moment because it's much cheaper to run but i'm not sure whether to keep the LPG or not as it loses quite a bit of power compaired to petrol.

right now it has a 2 bbl, but i have the 4 bbl intake, no carb. i just rebuilt the 2 bbl but it doesn't seem quite right. ran good for about 5 minutes, then kinda started cutting out. anyways i'm probably going to lay into every once in while so i'll stick with the 2 bbl and try to fine tune it. thanks.