Thread: 68" Scout 800 questions. Can anybody help out??

Default 68" Scout 800 questions. Can anybody help out??

I have 68 Scout 800 that has been in the family for years. I am not sure what the PO did to it as far as upgrades. It was bought with a Ford 302ci, 3 speed(R,1,2,3) manual trans and a twin stick t-case. My question is does anybody know if the trans and t-case mentioned are common scout parts or do you think they were swapped in? Also i am not sure what axels typically came in that year of 800's.

The 302 is a swap. The IH V8 engine that year was a 266, which is substantially larger in over all size. The 3 speed is a T90, and the t-case is a Dana 20 twin stick for that year. Reverse is left and forward, first is left and back, second right forward, third right back. Most likely the 302 was bolted to a ford bell housing which was bolted to the transmission. It might be that there is an adapter for the bell housing, but I "think" ford used that same 3 speed, so it may be the ford bell housing would have worked. The clutch disc only had to match the IH clutch disc in the center and be the same size. That might have even been a stock ford application, or it could be the IH clutch was the same size.

It is also possible somebody used an IH to Ford bell housing adapter, but I would think that to be less likely. Both ford and IH were using common transmissions at that time, and might have even used the same clutch discs.

The axles on a 68 scout were Dana 44 rear, Dana 27 front. I think the Dana 30 appeared the next year, but I have been wrong before, so it "might" even be a Dana 30 front. The later Scout 800s had them, and they were a bolt-on exchange. Most common gear ratio that year was 4.27, but 4.88 was also common.
    Last edited by Allan E.; 11-18-2009 at 05:48 PM.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Hey Thanks alot!!! I knew the 302 was a swap but I couldnt figure out what the trans was. In the past i heard about the T300 trans. Is that an older or newer trans? Also do you have any recomendations on lifting the 800? I want about 4" w/33's. With the axels mentioned earlier I am thinking jeep springs might be a good choice, but I am not sure if the 800 would be too heavy for that spring rate.

Quote Originally Posted by K5Kreep View Post
    Hey Thanks alot!!! I knew the 302 was a swap but I couldnt figure out what the trans was. In the past i heard about the T300 trans. Is that an older or newer trans? Also do you have any recomendations on lifting the 800? I want about 4" w/33's. With the axels mentioned earlier I am thinking jeep springs might be a good choice, but I am not sure if the 800 would be too heavy for that spring rate.
    There are several build up threads on the JustIH website. You can "build" a spring rate if you need to.

The springs themselves are no big deal. You can have them made. Might even be able to buy them if you just want to go with lift springs. If you upgrade the axles, you will need to move the spring hangers, which means some serious work with the grinder, welder, and customizing the steering and driveshafts.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

I was kicking around the idea of full size chevy axles, but i havnt taken any measurments to determine how much wider they would be. The custom work doesnt bother me, I have done quite a bit of it on my K5. Have you heard any good or bad on the t-case and tranny?