Thread: weird stink coming into cab

Exclamation weird stink coming into cab

hey all, i have a 1966 good ol' scout 800 with the 196 3 speed and what not, but that's not the problem, the problem is whenever i drive it around, this odd stink comes into the cab and stinks up my clothes, it is a bit of a hassle when i have to drive it to school, but any ideas as of how this stink is coming in? and what it is?

It might help if you could describe the odor, or determine about where it is coming from.
    Possible sources include:
    1.) Leaking exhaust, especially if it contains unburned gas or oil fumes.
    2.) oil, antifreeze or even brake fluid which is leaking onto/into hot surfaces. This might be coolant leaking from the heater core.
    3.) plastic or rubber being cooked by radiated exhaust heat.
    4.) a dead animal within the air duct.
    5.) moldy cardboard, carpet or other organic material.

It might help if you could describe the odor, or determine about where it is coming from.
    Possible sources include:
    1.) Leaking exhaust, especially if it contains unburned gas or oil fumes.
    2.) oil, antifreeze or even brake fluid which is leaking onto/into hot surfaces. This might be coolant leaking from the heater core.
    3.) plastic or rubber being cooked by radiated exhaust heat.
    4.) a dead animal within the air duct.
    5.) moldy cardboard, carpet or other organic material.

the exhaust i got re done about 2 months ado, the smell smells likes something like a cross between B.O and exhaust fumes

Quote Originally Posted by scoutboy66 View Post
    the exhaust i got re done about 2 months ado, the smell smells likes something like a cross between B.O and exhaust fumes
    It may BE a cross between BO and exhaust fumes. A dead rodent on top of the muffler (or some chemical burning off) or a rat that crawled up there and made a nest, complete with decorative droppings.

Shouldn't be a catalytic converter on a scout 800, but stranger things have happened. They sometimes smell like rotten eggs and such.

Maybe somebody just put something nasty and rotten in your scout, and keeping the windows closed increases the smell. Could also be mold in the seat upholstery.

Last thing is rubber floor mats. Coke or coffee spilled on rubber floor mats also can make a smell like you describe.

Tell your friends that it's all that's left of the last person who tried to rip you off. Say it with no expression. If any of them give you a hard time, hold up your hand, tell them to wait, and say one of the voices in your head says not to listen. Then change the subject to sports.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

ok ill put all you have put into effect, but do you think that warming the engine up will decrease the smell?? and i do think the rotten seals around do play an effect. but if this magical concoction called firewall putty was to be purchased by me, were should i apply it? ( and yes i do drive with the windows down, i dont really wanna fall asleep driving.)

As mentioned, rodent droppings, nests in the dash area or too many spilled coffees etc. on floor mats can cause an odor similar to old gym socks.

I'd clean the mats real well, especially in any creases or crevices. If it continues I'd sniff around the vehicle when it is parked to determine if the odor is coming from the engine compartment , the exhaust system or the interior and go from there.

Along with everything else that's been mentioned by others I'd also check for hot spots or holes along the floorboard. I had a missing heat sheild under the rear floor pan on one of my vehicles. Old padding doesn't smell very good when it's baking slowly.

this mold scout doesn't have and floor mats, but the possibility of poo in any where is very possible, i bought it from a guy who had it sitting for 3 years.

check in the heater intake assembly crap could have gotten in there

I had rat nests and all kinds of cranp in my heater core so you can imagine when hot water passes through the core it heats up that stuff and stinks