Thread: Looking for a Carb for a '63 Scout 80

Default Looking for a Carb for a '63 Scout 80

I have both a 1962 and a 1963 scout 80's. They both need new carbs! If anyone can tell me where i may find one cheaper than Scout Parts.com does. Or if you know of a good match up for them. Thanks

Napa carries the rebuild kits, but they aren't in the computer. They are in the book. I ordered one a couple of weeks ago and it took one day to get it.

It's a Holley 1904. I think 20-1 is the right part number from CSK, but I won't swear to it.

I do not know of any replacement carbs, but if you're really handy, a turbocharged fuel injection setup from a 2.2 liter 80s chrysler, like a charger, or something the same size, would probably work. That 152 engine isn't really loaded with power, and every little bit helps.

Or check the classifieds....

http://www.binderbulletin.org/showthread.php?t=7091
    Last edited by Allan E.; 11-20-2009 at 10:39 AM.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

I agree with Alan E. The 1904 is simple to rebuild, and the kits are cheap. I also bought a can of dip from the parts store, and blew everything out with a can of carb cleaner. Mine works great now.

Default holley carb

Ordering my rebuild kit was a pain. I first called holley and they told me they can't sell to an individual?? WTH?? And to look at any "major" auto parts store. I went to auto zone, o'reilly, and abc. All three said they didn't carry it and couldn't get it. I called the guy back at holley and related that story to him. He told me that was common. If they can't find it in their computer they didn't really like to search for hard to find items. I was then directed to summit racing. They carry it in stock. Hope this helps!!

This is one of those times where I point out that you have to tell the parts clerk to look in the book. The computers are very inaccurate with IH parts. The books are better.

It used to be that professional mechanics and parts professionals worked in these stores. Some still do, and when you find one, cultivate the relationship.

The rest I call "counter clowns." They can run the register, but their last job may have been selling shoes at Sears or Penney's, and their next one will probably be selling underwear at Victoria's Secret or Big Macs at UNO Where.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

I got mine from NAPA, it was in their computer and in the books. The off brand cheaper suppliers can't figure it out if it's not in their computer.

Typically have to argue that a '74 IH Scout did come with a 258 if I'm feeling in that mood, otherwise I tell them it's a 100 which shows the right engine.