Thread: Brakes

Default Brakes

Hey Guys,
    I have a 67 scout with some brake issues, hopefully y'all can help me out. i can't seem to get my rear drums off. I have been to a couple of shops and they can't seem to get them off either. It seems that the art of working on old scouts is a forgotten one. I have attached a few pictures of the axles as I have not seen this type before. I hope y'all can help me out as I do not want to have to cut them off or do anything else stupid.

Thanks
    JCOIMG00018.jpg

IMG00022.jpg

IMG00078.jpg

IMG00079.jpg

IMG00080.jpg
    Julio C. Ortiz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If a brake shop does not have this tool, or don't know how to use it, they are lame:

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/otc7394.html

The puller can be found cheaper than this. I bought mine for under a hundred bucks. I use it often. It is good for any of the 2 piece hub/axle setups, in case of the Scout 80/800 both D27R and D44R. Maybe you can find one used on Ebay. It is the only puller I know of that can do the job. There is a cheap Chinese knockoff for around 60.

Thanks Stu,

Thanks for the info. I am assuming the legs of the puller go on the wheel studs correct? Do you think I can find something like this at Autozone or another chain auto parts store?
    Julio C. Ortiz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey Julio you might try a big truck shop. if you were on this side of the mountain we could go to a friend of mine. sometimes they get rusted on. see you are trying to pull off the whole hub. wish i was there to give you a hand. do you have any friends in the motorpool? see you basically need to press the hub off. good luck

OTC is the tool manufacturer....it would depend on if your parts store can order it for you, and how much they want to charge you for it. The legs attach to the lugs and you use the lugnuts to hold it on there. The threaded center screw tightens down on the axle shaft via the striking wheel. If you do it too fast, you can collapse the cotter pin hole and warp the threads so put the pin back in there to provide some support. Liberal doses of PB blaster, patience, and a BFH go a long way. Some folks prescribe heat but I wouldn't do it, nor would I hit the end of the center screw. It will eventually come off, trust me.

Keep in mind you will likely have RH and LH lugs/nuts, so if you want to get some new ones ask for some Dodge/Chrysler LH nuts when you order the puller.

Nope i work with MP's so nobody wants much to do with us Something about making them nervous. Any ideas where I might find this tool locally?
    Julio C. Ortiz

I'm not going to volunteer anyone's tools, but there are A LOT of 80/800 owners around you that may have this tool. POst over on the Just Internationals Binder Bench 80/800 forum and I bet you get a few good offers of help.