Thread: need a 4 b carb for 345

Default need a 4 b carb for 345

I posted on classified but thought I'd put it here too. I need a 4 barrel carb for a 79 international scout 345. I am completely rebuliding the engine and the carb is toast. any ideas where to look and what to look for?

I found a edelbrock 600 on craigslist for $135. /says like new. Will this fit or can i get an adaptor. Is this a good carb?

Look at where the holes are where the carb mounts onto the manifold. If they are all 4 the same size, squarebore 1400 series. If there are two small ones and two large ones, you have a spreadbore. That's the 1900 series, I think. They cost more. To go from one to the other, you need a cheap adapter.

I believe Holley has a 390 cfm 4 barrel that works well on a 345. You might look into that.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thanks Alan, The guy has already sold it so I am still lookin..one'll turn up. Putting the motor together. The manual doesn't say what to torque the rocker arm assemby to, or I haven't found it. Do you happen to know?

Quote Originally Posted by rwc View Post
    Thanks Alan, The guy has already sold it so I am still lookin..one'll turn up. Putting the motor together. The manual doesn't say what to torque the rocker arm assemby to, or I haven't found it. Do you happen to know?
    It's in there. Not specifically mentioned means default value, 14-16 ft lbs for 5/16-18 and 24. If that's not the bolt size, let me know, because I'm going from memory. Take your time with that one, too, and get it perfect, a little at a time, because a warped rocker shaft means a failure after a few thousand miles, and it's a bear to diagnose.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

The heads on the bolts going through the rockers take a 1/2 socket, I just have them finger tight for now till I find out.

Am I correct in the thinking that you measure the bolt and not the head to get the size?