Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: T90 & Dana vs. TH350 & NP208

Default T90 & Dana vs. TH350 & NP208

Hey guys, I have a 68' 800a w/ a Dana 20 t case and a T90 trans. When my grandfather purchased the 800 in the early 80's it had a ford 302ci swap. Quite a few years ago the engine let go so now that I have it, the beast sits engineless. My questions to you fellas are, I have a few chevy 350's in the garage that I can use in my 800 I just don't know what would be a better mix. A 350ci w/ TH350 & NP208. Or a 350ci and purchase the pretty pricey adapters And input shaft to adapt the T90 And Dana 20 to a 350ci. Does anybody out there have this or heard of this set up? What are any thoughts or concerns. This is going to be a pretty modest build, 33's 4" lift with some resto work. I am looking for realiability for traveling fishing, camping and hunting trips. I also have a 700R4 that I can use aswell if that would be better. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by K5Kreep View Post
    Hey guys, I have a 68' 800a w/ a Dana 20 t case and a T90 trans. When my grandfather purchased the 800 in the early 80's it had a ford 302ci swap. Quite a few years ago the engine let go so now that I have it, the beast sits engineless. My questions to you fellas are, I have a few chevy 350's in the garage that I can use in my 800 I just don't know what would be a better mix. A 350ci w/ TH350 & NP208. Or a 350ci and purchase the pretty pricey adapters And input shaft to adapt the T90 And Dana 20 to a 350ci. Does anybody out there have this or heard of this set up? What are any thoughts or concerns. This is going to be a pretty modest build, 33's 4" lift with some resto work. I am looking for realiability for traveling fishing, camping and hunting trips. I also have a 700R4 that I can use aswell if that would be better. Thanks.
    The original V8 would have been a 304, but there could have been a 4 cylinder engine in there as well. Now that I think about it, I don't know when IH switched to the AMC 232 ( I look it up every time, then forget), but anyway, an IH made V8 was an option. A chevy or ford small block spins up quicker and has higher top end, but isn't anywhere near as durable as the IH.

The 800A (69/70 model years) has room for a small block w/ 700R4, but you'll have to consider driveshaft length.

On one side, you can keep the t-case and transmission in place with the simple adapter. Any small block should give you what you want, but I'd want the one that runs best at low rpms. You might want to consider fabbing an IH (not AMC) 304 back in. It has the same torque curve as a 454 chevy up to 2500 rpms, and is far more durable than any small block you will ever find or build. You'll never have to replace it. If not, I recommend you make the decision based on what you'll have when you are done, not based on "I can get one of these for free." These projects always cost a whole lot more than you expect, partly due to the issues I mentioned, but there are also many others.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

How about the durability of the d20 and t90? How hard would it be to find a 304? If I can find an ih304 how do the part prices compare to something more like the sbc? Also am I correct to say that I have a 800a? I thought they were the "a" untill 70or 71 ?

if it was converted to a ford small block why not put one back in. but i am with Allen on this you can't beat the 304. it is durable

Price wise on the 304, there are some people selling rebuildable ones for about 50-100$ and running 200-400$ prolly

SBC are always on craigslist for 1 or 2 hundred bucks but u don't know what ur getting.
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

How about the durability of the d20 and t90? How hard would it be to find a 304? If I can find an ih304 how do the part prices compare to something more like the sbc? Also am I correct to say that I have a 800a? I thought they were the "a" untill 70or 71 ?
    The 800 started in late 65.
    The 800 got a V8 in mid 67.
    The 266 was used in the 67 and 68 models.
    The 800A was the 69-70 model. It came with a 304.
    The 800B was in 71, same year the Scout II was introduced.
    The Scout II was originally the 810, but the Scout name was so strong that they dropped the 810 designation.

The D20 was used from 65-79. It's a pretty good case.
    The T90 isn't a bad little 3 speed, but I always change them out to 4 speeds. They were also used extensively in jeeps and I "think" in ford broncos in the early years, also both with D20 cases. I know a couple of people who run SBC in front of them with no problems and treat them pretty badly, but I wouldn't do it.

I guess I'm just lazy. If I ever put a SBC in a scout, I'll change out the transmission and t-case at the same time, and I'll use something that already works in a factory or direct aftermarket upgrade application. Reinventing the wheel seems like a waste to me.
    Allan E.

I appriciate all the help Allen. Even though it's been in my family for years I am new to the scout world. So if I understand correctly, my 68' is simply an 800 and possibly could have come with a 4cy or the 266 V8. Does the engine that it came with have anything to do with the axles, or is it still going to have the d44 rear and the d30 front talked about In earlier posts? And are the scout II d44 axles same width as the 800 d44? Sorry if I am jumping topics. I just have so many questions. Lol!

I appriciate all the help Allen. Even though it's been in my family for years I am new to the scout world. So if I understand correctly, my 68' is simply an 800 and possibly could have come with a 4cy or the 266 V8. Does the engine that it came with have anything to do with the axles, or is it still going to have the d44 rear and the d30 front talked about In earlier posts? And are the scout II d44 axles same width as the 800 d44? Sorry if I am jumping topics. I just have so many questions. Lol!
    Front would likely be a D27, you will have to look. Rear is a 44. I was told that in 68 you would get a 27, 69 was a 30. I am sure the 30 would bolt up. Scout II axles do not fit. You would have to move the spring hangers, which would likely give you some lift. If I was going to do all that, I'm not sure I would stay with IH. Blazer front D44 axles are better than scout D44 front axles, so if I was going with a non-original width, I woul take that into consideration.
    Allan E.

I had thought about chevy axles in the past. That's what got me started with possibly using a sbc with chevy trans and t case. I will have to take a look at the width difference and see what it would take to make em work. I would be lying if I said money didn't matter, and it would be awesome to put this beast back to original but truth be told, I do have a ton of extra chevy stuff lying around that is already paid for. lol. So I am curious.... You mentioned earlier that you usually swap out the t90 for a 4 speed. So what 4 speed do you use?

generally a t-98/t-18/t19 they all three have been used in IH's. i prefer the t-18/dana20 combo for a 4 speed