Thread: 1980 scout puts out white smoke

Default 1980 scout puts out white smoke

Hey everybody, I was so happy when I found this website. I have a 1980 scout with a sd-33t diesel. When I first start it up it burbles around and puts out enough white smoke to kill every mosquito in a 50 mile radius. I am guessing that the injection pump needs rebuilt but I am not sure. The engine only has around 30,000 miles on it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

How long does it take to get running on all 6 and stop smoking? These things are generally brutal on cold startup.

It usually takes about 30 seconds. I wonder if this might just be normal because after it's warmed up it runs great.

Sounds pretty normal to me. I've got a 100% rebuilt engine (full rebuild kit and new head) and it still blows an immense amount of white smoke from a cold start. Once it warms up though, no problems at all. These engines were just designed for fuel efficiency, and nothing more as far as Scouts go.

Default Smokin'

Hay Country Boy. You might have bad glow plug on one of them thar cylinders. I agree with the others that things sound basically good if the smoke clears. I noticed with mine that on cold mornings at altitude I get plenty of smoke. I took a trip to the High Sierras and at 9000 feet it was quite a spectacle to start. The whole camp ground hated me - especially the tree huggers. so when I got her nice and warmed up, I rammed some of their greeny hybrid cars just show them was American Steel is all about. Just kidding - no ramming but lots of smoke!