Thread: Radiator?

Default Radiator?

Ok, I had my radiator cut by my clutch fan on Thursday when a fan blade bent. I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of truck I could pull a radiator out of and it fit into my '75 Scout II. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LupusKout View Post
    Ok, I had my radiator cut by my clutch fan on Thursday when a fan blade bent. I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of truck I could pull a radiator out of and it fit into my '75 Scout II. Thanks
    Any other scout II or traveler radiator will bolt right in. If you have an automatic, you'll need to deal with the transmission lines as well.

Otherwise, you can buy them new. They cost a bit.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

IH Only North just announced some nice aluminum multi core's for around $600 each. Some fab skills are necessary to get them installed, but they sure do look nice.

Thanks for that info, but I think I was misinterpreted.... I was wondering if a radiator out of another truck all together would work... like a ford model or something... Finding a scout here in Indiana is hard

A guy I knew pulled his 345 and installed a dodge 360. I believe he said he used a Moline 247. This was 10 years ago. No idea what he had to do to fabricate it.

Part of the problem we run into is that used radiators from specific vehicles are not cataloged the way other auto parts are. Nothing is a "match" for the scout except the same style scout. It's a tight fit.

You also run into the design of the body/radiator on the vehicle itself. The body on the scout flexes, and the ears on the radiator need to be mounted with something that allows the body to shift slightly without using the radiator as a structural part. For what we do with off road vehicles these days, it can be an issue. From that standpoint, it could be considered a weakness in the design. The point here is that using "something else" could make the problem worse, or it could fix it, but it's something at which we need to look.

I have been unable to find a book that tells what size different radiators are when they are new. There are makers, but for some reason, this information is hard to find.

It also matters what you have as a load. The same 304 in a scout is used in a dump truck. Bigger radiator. More oil. Different rpm range. Same engine. Load matters.

Somebody has those radiators, but what else fits? Hard to say.

I am guessing you'll want to spend the money to go to an electric fan to avoid this in the future. Ford Taurus fans are popular. They pull a lot of current, so you'll need a relay setup, but they move a lot of air.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

ok... I'll see what I can do then.... thanks for your help

I know that there is a radiator out of a '76 SII automatic at Scotty's Jeep, Truck and 4x4 out here in CA. It needs to have the drain cock replaced (it's missing) but otherwise it's in good condition. They may also have one from an older manual. They are very reasonable and they will ship. Ask for Larry.

http://www.scottysjeepand4x4.com/

433433 radiator from autozone will run $137 and i ran one for a year with no problems it fit perfectly the upper hose was a problem b/c it doen't have the 90 angle and i had to adapt two hoses together it's a three core radiator and will cool your scout great mine is a 345 bored 60 over with headers and had no over heating problems now useing it in my 800 build up it's to tall for the 800 and sticks down in the frame but works great and you can get this radiator at any parts store so if something happens it's easy to find. lower hose worked fine