Thread: passenger side tire rubbing

Default passenger side tire rubbing

I have a '78 scout II. The person who owned it before me had a frankenstein SOA lift (mismatched parts). I got rid of all that and installed a new 4" leaf spring kit (underaxle), as well as new ball joints, u-joints (drive axles, and front and rear shaft), drag link and ends, new tie rod ends, new shackels and bushings, and reestablished the leveling blocks on the front and back passenger side. Problem is, if I turn the wheels all the way left, the front passenger side tire rubs the new leaf spring. I have not had it aligned yet. Could this be solved by proper alignment or is there something more needed to be done?

Default tire rub

There are actually a few thing that could be causing this scenario. Incorrect wheel backspacing, bump stops are not adjusted correctly on the steering knuckles, incorrect steering part or even as you said if the alignment is off. I would recommend keeping it as simple as possible and start with measuring your wheel backspacing. Don't adjust your bumpstops until you have eliminated everything else or they appear to have been adjusted by the previous owner. All the wheels should have the same backspacing and will vary depending on the width of the wheel. Good luck, Paul
    Black Smoke Customs is now open in Rock Island, Tennessee. We are addicted to International's and Cummins B series motors. The only thing we don't do is paint and body,,,yet.
    We support ASE Certification.

Rubbing issue solved. Dropped pitman arm, spun the steering wheel left and then right and counted turns; then divided turns in half. Put back pitman arm. Seems to work.

Default Cool

Even simpler. Glad to hear you got it fixed. Paul
    Black Smoke Customs is now open in Rock Island, Tennessee. We are addicted to International's and Cummins B series motors. The only thing we don't do is paint and body,,,yet.
    We support ASE Certification.