Thread: Throw out beariing falling off fork when installing motor

Default Throw out beariing falling off fork when installing motor

When i try to slip the bell housing onto the transmission shaft when putting the motor back in the scout the throwout bearing keeps falling off the fork on the shaft that rides the transmission. Any tips other than a helper? Somethings are just hard to do alone. It's a 345 that I rebuilt and have the clutch and all alredy on the motor. It might be easier to take the transmission down and do it that way.

So you have the bell housing already on the block? You might want to take it and put it back on the transmission and see if it makes things a litle easier. The last time I swapped out a 4 speed, I was able to disconnect clutch rod and make the throwout bearing rest in a spot further back than it normally would by re-arranging how the connecting rod sat. (I think I turned it upside-down to make it sit all the way against the back of the transmission). This was with the clutch already on the engine, too.

That sounds like the solution to me. I had almost decided to pull the transmission but thought coming to work this morning about your suggestion and that "should be a piece of cake". All I'll have to do is line up the trans shaft into the clutch and crank and bolts to the engine from bell housing. I'll let you know thanks for the suggestion!