Thread: 79 scout rebuild

Default 79 scout rebuild

I need to find out if a Mopar 440 cu in motor can bolt up to the stock 727
    transmission I currently have in my 79 scout ii.

Quote Originally Posted by conman View Post
    I need to find out if a Mopar 440 cu in motor can bolt up to the stock 727
    transmission I currently have in my 79 scout ii.
    No. The bell housings (casings) on 727 transmissions are engine specific. Even a mopar small block won't bolt up to a BB 727. Tailshafts for 727s interchange.

AMC 6 and 8 cylinder engines had the same bell housings as each other. There are scouts that came with AMC engines and 727s, so a 401 AMC would work with one of those.

The 440 is a good choice for a 4x4, but you will need the BB chrysler style 727. You can use the tailshaft and t-case from the scout, but if you find a 4x4 Ramcharger or p/u with the 440 and auto, it would be easiest to transfer the whole drive train in, fab up the mounts, and replace the driveshafts. Personally, if I went to all that trouble, I would use the jeep style tailshaft housing so I could upgrade the t-case.

Is your IH engine dead? They aren't hard to find in used running condition. Up to 2500 rpms, the IH 304 has about the same torque and h.p. as the 440. After that, there is quite a difference, of course. No substitute for cubic inches. However, most people don't wheel at those rpms. A 304, 345, or 392 will perform just as well as a 440 off road in a scout unless you are doing sand racing or mud bogging where the rpms are needed.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak