Thread: Transmission Cooler Lines

Default Transmission Cooler Lines

Hope someone can help. I have a 78 Scout II that I'm now beginning work on the engine area. My first major problem was the radiator was bad. In the process of removing the radiator the Transmission cooler line was snapped at the radiator end. They both look in pretty bad shape and need replacing....so ...any suggestions who have pre-formed Cooler lines for my Automatic 78 scout...which is highly doubtful...if not... what would be a logical solution?..any help would be greatly appreciated.
    78 Scout II
    345 V8

As long as the ends are good, you can always keep 3-4 inches of hard line and flare out the end and use transmission rubber lines. If the ends aren't any good, you can always use pre-formed brake hard lines and cut them, since they already come with the ends to screw into the radiator and transmission. All you'd really have to do then is make sure you have the right size connectors, cut the line in half, flare the cut ends, and attach rubber lines. Easy, and cheap fix.

I would need to buy a flaring tool for this I am guessing.....$40.00 from what I am seeing...which might be useful down the road.
    78 Scout II
    345 V8

Yup, it comes in handy in quite a few situations. And it's still cheaper than using pre-formed lines. You might even find a cheaper one for 20 or so.

These are standard brake lines with standard NPT threads. Not very expensive at most auto parts stores.

If you make your own, you need a double flare tool, not a single. I found that to be the best way to go, because the same thing happens to brake lines, and for some reason, when I would lose a part on one vehicle, other vehicles seemed to soon follow with the same part. Pretty handy for trail fixes if you have the ends and fittings in a small kit.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thanks for the Help guys. I will take the advice and hopefully be one step closer to getting my Scout on the road/trail.
    78 Scout II
    345 V8