Thread: 1973 scout2 ignition wiring diagram needed

Default 1973 scout2 ignition wiring diagram needed

Hey all. I really need the ignition wiring diagram for a 1973 scout 2. my truck won't start and need a diagram to trace out the problem. Can anyone hook me up since I definately don't want to go thru scoutparts.

I would strongly suggest you purchase yourself a service manual from Binderbooks. It will save you a ton of time.

But for now, this will work. It is the same basics, just dont worry about the electronic ignition.
    William (Bill)
    1978 Super Scout II
    SV 345, Holly 2300 2BBL, T19, Dana 300, SOA lift with 1.5" shackles, Dana 44s front and back with 3.73 gears, Detroit Locker in rear, 33x12.50 ProComp, On Board Air, Custom front and rear bumpers

Quote Originally Posted by SCOUTIINEWBIE View Post
    Hey all. I really need the ignition wiring diagram for a 1973 scout 2. my truck won't start and need a diagram to trace out the problem. Can anyone hook me up since I definately don't want to go thru scoutparts.

With or without the auto, there is a relay under the dash that should click when you turn the key. That's the primary feed.

The 73 with auto shoots the start circuit through the Neutral Safety Switch.

From there, with or without the auto, you (eventually) end up at the S terminal (top, small post) on the solenoid. The key switch is supposed to (eventually) make the S terminal go hot.

In the START position, the voltage goes through the solenoid to the R terminal. This provides a full 12 volts to the coil during starting. When you let go of the key, the RUN position provides a reduced voltage to the coil via a resistance wire.

Symptoms more detailed than "won't start" might help, since lots of folks know where the bodies are buried in the individual models. There are reasons why the engine will not start that are not in the start circuit, but whether it is cranking fast, not at all, totally dead...
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Looks like my key tumbler was popped out and now I can't start the truck.
    I think someone tried to steal it but could not start it(since my battery was in the garage on charge. But, thank you so much for the info. I have been trying to get a manual was gonna order from scoutparts.com but after reading about the rip offs am gonna have to look elsewhere. Any recommendations folks.

Order direct from binderbooks.com or check ebay. Sometimes you find them there, but I've had good luck ordering direct from the source.