Thread: ideas for lift for hard top

Default ideas for lift for hard top

Anyone got any ideas or pics for fabricating a lift for scout hardtop so one person can remove and install it. I have a small winch and thought about making some kind of pulley hoist in the barn for this.

I would think just a chain lift would be good, and then just use 2 straps one gong long way and one going short way ?

I was thinking the same question.. as i am rebuilding my hardtop (got the TOP top painted 2 prime 3 final, but now i have to do the sides and the inside.. so i wanna lift it up as well.. also would just be convenient when i wanna go topless hehe
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

I am just the opposite, got the body and inside painted but not the top and hood. That's kinda what I was thinking but am trying to figure out a way to keep from bending anything and not breaking the glass on the rear door. Some kind of straps and clamps (with rubber) on the top sides and strap going up from the middle....just don't know what kind of clamps to look for.

There have been several different postings about this on the different forums. Some really great ideas out there.

Do a search on a couple of the forums (including this one) with the key words: Lift, hard top, etc...

I know BP has a dozen or so threads about it.

Default Harbor Freight Winch

I've constructed a hoist using a harbor freight winch mounted to my garage ceiling (into rafters). I then just used adjustable winching straps that run from the open rear hatch to the front window openings. With one strap on each side, I then hook to the hoist. I lift it off easy, just enough to be able to drive the scout out of the garage. I then lower to top to the ground, remove straps, and carry out of the way.

Works for me... a one man removal operation.. well...except the "carrying out of the way" part.

Good Luck
    Rob

Thats about what I envisioned. I have a barn where I could actually leave it suspended.

Yeah that sounds good to me hehe
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

Use a couple of motorcycle staps and slide some 2x4's under the lid. Attach eye bolts to the ends of the 2x4's and a ready made sling is formed.

Just make sure you put something into the holes that bolts the top down so that the boards don't slide togethor. Or just bolt top to the 2x4's and winch away.

I found a boat trailer winch at a scrap yard and use it still. A couple of pulleys and I can stand at ground level and wind away lifting the top off very easily.
    Desperately trying to get rid of the Scooby stripe and recently ordered lift!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by NVScouter
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Sweet then you can throw bullet hole stickers and stuff on em and drive around saying RAWR!!!!!!!!!

these are some great ideas!!