Thread: brake conversion

Default brake conversion

greetings ,
    i'm new to the blog and new to team scout.
    i own a 73 scout II, it has drum brakes all around. what i want to know is, how can i put disk brakes on this? i'm also putting power steering and brake booster. more about those later.

Quote Originally Posted by 73 scout II View Post
    greetings ,
    i'm new to the blog and new to team scout.
    i own a 73 scout II, it has drum brakes all around. what i want to know is, how can i put disk brakes on this? i'm also putting power steering and brake booster. more about those later.
    The most simple (notice I did not say easy) conversion is to use the front axle from a later scout. Some 74 came with discs, and all 75 and later axles will bolt right in. The front axle was switched to a Dana 44 at that time as well.

You can also use the hardware from the disc brake scouts if you have open knuckles.

Obviously, you will want the master cylinder and other equipment, as they are different for the disc brake setup.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Default tf 727 interest

greetings, thank you allan E. for your reply. im still in the early stages of all this. i bought A solid 73 last year and am slowly forming a direction to take it. i want to stay true to the era, make / model etc. but ,,,i want to add power brakes/ steering.converting to disk will have to wait for now. anyway my question today is where can i get a TF 727 to one day put in and shelf the manual that is in it now? as i get older the clutch knee will fade, so i am thinking to get ahold of the correct 727 now and save it for later. i saw an ad around here for one in point loma for 300. sounded cheap enough. im in oceanside myself. any insight you / any one could offer i would appreciate it. are we moving to the other site or no? - ha ha

greetings, thank you allan E. for your reply. im still in the early stages of all this. i bought A solid 73 last year and am slowly forming a direction to take it. i want to stay true to the era, make / model etc. but ,,,i want to add power brakes/ steering.converting to disk will have to wait for now. anyway my question today is where can i get a TF 727 to one day put in and shelf the manual that is in it now? as i get older the clutch knee will fade, so i am thinking to get ahold of the correct 727 now and save it for later. i saw an ad around here for one in point loma for 300. sounded cheap enough. im in oceanside myself. any insight you / any one could offer i would appreciate it. are we moving to the other site or no? - ha ha
    Any 727 that was behind the style of engine you now have will work. If it was an IH 304, 345, 392, it will need to be from one of those. If you have an AMC 6, it will have to be from behind an AMC 6 or small block (same pattern). Chrysler is also different, even big block vs small block.
    Allan E.

Default still on brakes

greetings, it seems i have been blessed with dana 44 front and rear on 1973 scout II. so with that, upgrade to disc front brakes should be less hard. Question: what can i do to convert them now? is there any alternative to the 4, 5, 600 $ "kit" ? ladies and gentlemen i find myself in an expensive hobby.
    thank you

greetings, it seems i have been blessed with dana 44 front and rear on 1973 scout II. so with that, upgrade to disc front brakes should be less hard. Question: what can i do to convert them now? is there any alternative to the 4, 5, 600 $ "kit" ? ladies and gentlemen i find myself in an expensive hobby.
    thank you
    I just saw something on powerblock tv where they converted the rear to disc useing the rotors from a '94-'04 dodge 1500 and a caliper bracket from blue tortch fab welded to the axle tube. Not sure about the calipers. It looked super easy and pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutguy66 View Post
    I just saw something on powerblock tv where they converted the rear to disc useing the rotors from a '94-'04 dodge 1500 and a caliper bracket from blue tortch fab welded to the axle tube. Not sure about the calipers. It looked super easy and pretty cheap.
    Very true there, however the problem with welding the bracket to the axle tube is getting the angle and spacing correct...it is easy but you have to be very carefull when doing it. The company that I would suggest on using for a Disk conversion is IHonly, they have a damn good kit that is easy to install, I did it myself in a 3 day weekend for the rear end on my Binder.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

Back Country binders sells the rear brake conversion kits for a reasonable amount. I suspect so do some of the other folks who fab scout stuff. There is a section called the machine shop on binderplanetdotcom that has several vendors that sell and/or install this kind of thing for scouts.

The front axle from a 75-80 scout or traveller is a bolt-on swap, but of course you have to change the hydraulics when you swap to discs.
    Allan E.