Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: removing steel sleeve

Exclamation removing steel sleeve

ok, the first sleeve came out if the spring eye with NO problem, it was a fluke.
    now the others WONT come out, 2 days of working on the sleeves they havent budged and I'm afraid that i will damage or score the sleeve where the bushings go, what else can i do to remove the sleeves...
    i attched pictures...help!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My suggestion would be get a piece of tube steel of the same size as the sleeves that will stand up to a good mini sledge hammer. Heat the whole thing up until it's almost glowing, and then go at it with the sledge. Otherwise... maybe an air hammer/chisel?

The U-Joint / Ball Joint Presses (C style) are great for this with the appropriate sized sockets. Better than beating on it with a hammer.

I've heard of cutting through the sleeve with a hack saw in two spots and then chiseling them out since you've released all the extra stress.

Some have used two sockets with a bolt between and appropriate spacers, there were pictures on a thread not too long ago on one of the IH forums.

HTH

Bill

Default steel sleeve

where do i find a press? are they cheap?

Harbor Freight sells a kit cheap, often on special. It's a ball joint removal tool. Very useful for this application.

Use a sawzall and cut a notch in the sleeve. You can angle it to where the spring is rolled over. It won't hurt a thing. Then heat it up with the torch. It will "expand" inward.

When you put the new one in, use grease. It won't really help for removal the next time, but it will make you feel better and help slide the new one in. 30 years of stress is still 30 years of stress. They get stuck pretty tight.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

If you don't have a Harbor Freight nearby, NAPA and Carquest carry them also.

I've seen the HF ones bend after first use, so I stick w/ the carquest version I bought years ago. When shipping it to / from a supplier location is the only way to get something, its better to buy local to get service if available.

I think my carquest one was about $80 several years back. I see them in HF for about $40 or less

Default steel sleeve

what happens if i cant get them out? do they need to come out? can i find another bushing that is smaller in diameter but smaller that will fit in the sleeve?

Based on the one picture, you've already got it buggered up pretty good and a new one won't go in. So you'll have to get it out.

I've gone over to BP and did a search since it was highlighted on how to do it with sockets if you cannot afford the C-Press.

Here's a link to the thread in particular. Pictures included.

HTH

Default sleeve removal

thats AWESOME !! going home after work and will try, thank you all.

A little PB Blaster or other penetrating oil would help.

There was a thread the other day on BP saying something about brake fluid and power steering fluid as a cheap but effective way to loosen rusted bolts.
    Desperately trying to get rid of the Scooby stripe and recently ordered lift!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by NVScouter
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Sweet then you can throw bullet hole stickers and stuff on em and drive around saying RAWR!!!!!!!!!