Thread: 1961 IH Scout 80

Default 1961 IH Scout 80

Ok so I joined this forum today because I may be purchasing my first Scout. I was informed by a friend that one is available in my price range, and I'm going to go see it over the next couple of days.

With this particular model, is there anything specific I should make sure it HAS or does NOT have? Anything that would be a red flag?

You get the idea. Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated.

-Ryan

Well it shows that 20 people viewed my posting, but there were no replies. I suppose I'll interpret that to mean there is nothing specific to be aware of with this Scout.

Just keep an eye out for the normal problems rust etc, as with any car if u can test compression of cylinders that always good. Check for what axles... I didnt know older scouts had a 44 up front i heard it was a d27 /30 unless someone did a scout 2 axle swap later on

And always try to bargain lol
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

You have to be aware that many are going to read your question and not respond as it has been asked many times before. Do a search to find the information you seek, it's out there. Information can be found both here, Justih, ihonlynorth and on BP using the search tool on your exact question.

That year won't have a D44 unless swapped in, you'll have D27/D30 axles (f/r). Rust is your worst enemy and the corner panels hold lots of materials over the years. Brakes are another item of concern, how have they been maintained, etc...

Those are a few things to look at, but search, and search some more.

Quote Originally Posted by baldscout View Post
    You have to be aware that many are going to read your question and not respond as it has been asked many times before. Do a search to find the information you seek, it's out there. Information can be found both here, Justih, ihonlynorth and on BP using the search tool on your exact question.

That year won't have a D44 unless swapped in, you'll have D27/D30 axles (f/r). Rust is your worst enemy and the corner panels hold lots of materials over the years. Brakes are another item of concern, how have they been maintained, etc...

Those are a few things to look at, but search, and search some more.
    Both axles are D27.

Look at the serial number. 501 was the first one produced. If you have 513 or 502 or something low like that, it's definitely worth thinking about.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thanks for the correction Allan. I was goin off my '63 axles. Possibly swapped in, I'll have to get the LST to check.

The D30 was introduced in the 800 series due to the weight of the V8 engine. It was never used in the rear. The front D30 continued into the 74 model year. In 75, all fronts had been upgraded to D44.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Default 1961 only

the doors on a '61 (and early '62) should have 2 sliding glass pieces rather than a roll up design. also the tailgate should have the IH symbol rather than the words international and scout (the scout in sort of cursive writing). that's all I can think of in a nutshell. I have a '61, '62, and '65.