Thread: shackles?

Exclamation shackles?

the tips on removing the steel rings from the perch and the spring eye was awesome, it takes some work and some broken bolts, but it is easier than pounding the crap out of them...now onto a new problem...what happened here and how do i fix this? i think i have to loosen the u-bolts that attach the springs to the axle housing and go from there, right?
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you are talking about your parking brake being shredded, then yes you have a problem. That is if you intend to use a parking brake.

The spring pack still appears to be on the axle at the right spot and not twisted. If you've had both sides off at once, the axle may have rotated slightly giving you this condition. Rotate the axle back, put the bolts in and see if you still have a problem.

If you decide to loosen the bolts, it is HIGHLY recommended to replace instead of reuse. They are torqued and put under a lot of stress, any changes / relaxation can cause future failure, so don't do it cheap, put in new bolts. It isn't just your safety on the line if it fails.

HTH

Exclamation

ya e-brake is bad, on the list to fix, but the way the spring is offset from the perch...it was that way from when i got the truck, and yes the u-bolts do need to be replaced, the other side looks ok, but i didnt have the axle loose at all, could it be bent or out of alignment? spring pack?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by dodge97 View Post
    ya e-brake is bad, on the list to fix, but the way the spring is offset from the perch...it was that way from when i got the truck, and yes the u-bolts do need to be replaced, the other side looks ok, but i didnt have the axle loose at all, could it be bent or out of alignment? spring pack?
    Since you didn't have the axle loose to pivot and give you grief there, then I'd recommend pulling the spring pack off and checking your center bolt. The pack may have taken a hit or slightly rotated in place. There's a good writeup by Bill-USN1 over on BP on rebuilding the spring pack. It will give you plenty of details.

BFH? You may need to source a new spring.

thats a pain!