Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: step up converter

Default step up converter

I have a 75 Scout II and I just bought a hydraulic Mile Marker winch that uses a 24v system. Do you have any recommendations for a step up converter? I'll have to upgrade the alternator and also get a kit for the power steering pump if you have any ideas for them also....

Thanks for any suggestions. This site rocks!

A hydraulic winch with a 24 volt system...

Can you go with a pure hydraulic system and PTO pump?

You can rig 2 batteries and switch them for winching. Charge them in parallel, but disconnect them and series them for winching. Not hard to do, not expensive.

You can change out the motor to 12 volts.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Just out of curiousty, whats the advantage of using a hydraulic winch over an electric one? Sorry for the Hijack.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

Hydraulic doesn't heat up as much (or overheat) like a pure electric one will. They're also less of a burden on the alternator.

One drawback to a pure hydraulic is that the engine needs to keep running if you have an engine driven or pto pump. The electric will run for a short while without the engine (typically).

Hydraulic winches are usually higher capacity over electrics of similar size (mine is at least 5 ton) where the electric may be 3 ton for the same size.

I prefer the hydraulic setup as it permits me to utilize the plow or winch with the same controls with a manual valve (or both). Pump is mounted above the alternator and has it's own belt.

Thanks for the feedback!

Alan, what all needs to be done to install a 12v motor and where can I find one? I think that would be easier and save space over the dual battery option, right?

FYI, I just ordered a MAD wiring kit for under the hood and I'm looking into a 78 amp alternator setup.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter dude View Post
    Thanks for the feedback!

Alan, what all needs to be done to install a 12v motor and where can I find one? I think that would be easier and save space over the dual battery option, right?

FYI, I just ordered a MAD wiring kit for under the hood and I'm looking into a 78 amp alternator setup.
    The first thing I would do is call Mile Marker and see if they have a 12 volt replacement motor. You might also find that the motors simply interchange. You may even find that they have generic gearing and mounting.

Understand that your alternator will not be able to drive the winch. All your alternator can do is recharge the battery. At full load, you'll be pulling 200-450 amps. Only a battery is capable of doing that. (63 amps is one horsepower at 12 volts).
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

I have plenty to learn about winches (this is my first) so I'm all ears. I thought the hydraulic winch has to run off of the power steering pump (with truck running) so I was just thinking in terms of upgrading the alternator to handle a larger load. Am I wrong? I'll ask Mile Marker about the 12v motor.

There are kits you can buy to adapt your power steering pump to run a hydraulic winch (i.e. why the engine needs to be running in order for you to use one). Otherwise there are some that mount totally new independent pumps that run the system. Lots and lots of different options.

I mounted an independent pump instead of modifying the power steering unit. My plow requires a higher GPM than the winch, so I went with a Grainger pump, custom bracket and fluid reserve tank from an old semi. I do utilize power steering fluid as the hydraulic fluid as I have a 3 gallon tank, it was cheaper (over 80%) than standard 5 gallons of hydraulic fluid and it works just fine; especially in cold climates.

A larger alternator won't help you if you're running the winch off the PS pump, you'd need to beef that pump up a little.

I do have an old engine driven hydraulic pump, it works great, just not a high enough gpm for my plow, that came off a willy's j**p plow system (1960's era). They don't have information on it at the factory anymore, but looks & worked great for my hydraulic winch. I upgraded to a higher gpm pump so I could get rid of the 12v plow pump and run both off the same controls.

There are options out there, first and foremost, you need to decide if you're going to stick with the electric option or switch to a full hydraulic. Then you can start to look at other choices. One would be to utilize a electric snow plow pump from the 80's to early 90's to run the winch itself. They were 12v and then you can upgrade your alternator to handle the loads.

HTH

Bill