Thread: To Chevy or Not to Chevy...

Default To Chevy or Not to Chevy...

I just bought my third Scout II (1973) after not having one for a while. Here is my question that I am looking for some direction or ideas for. The engine (345) runs strong and functions fine. However, the thing is leaking like a pin cushion. My intentions were to fix this baby up to be a daily driver for a short commute. I was going to sell my 1992 Chevy 2500 (5.7 Liter) and use the money to do this. Then I started to think, perhaps I should just put the the Chevy guts in there? I know this is a highly controversial things amidst the Scout owners, but I figured it runs strong, does not leak, is easy to get parts for, and has a great interior I can rob parts from as well and then sell the body to a scrap yard.

Or..... I just reseal and replace all the tubing and belts on the 345 and stay true to the IH brand. The owner claims the 345 it was rebuilt 35,000 miles ago. Any ideas or past experiences doing this??

I am leaning toward the reseal job, but I want to over all my basis.

i would keep the good ol IH Engine, its a scout you don't see many of them around, and what makes a scout a scout is in the inside.

IH's will leak to a point and I'm not sure if it's just speak overkill but if it's leaking "like a pin cushion" at 35,000 miles I'd be more concerned about the who and when on that rebuild. I'd check the engine out completely and if it turns out to be only the seals and gaskets, stick with the IH. Anything more than that I'd probably still go with the IH power simply because there are plenty of old jeeps out there to toss that GM into and part of being in this unique group is the frustration of dealing with things that are 30 plus years old.

In the end it's your vehicle and it all depends on what you want to deal with.
    I think if you need to ask, you really want the 5.7. Just go for it but don't junk that IH power plant. Someone else will certainly make use of it.

35K miles is about 200K less than an engine swap time.

Most IH leaks are from the valve covers. I suggest you first clean the engine very well. Use that cheap engine cleaner from Auto Zone that you spray on a cold engine. It works great.

Replace the valve cover gaskets. Trust me, just do it. The RIGHT STUFF is excellent for this. Take your time and do it right.

While you're at it, the PCV and flame arrestor need to be clear. Lack of crankcase ventilation sends oil out your dipstick. Very messy.

Then re-evaluate. Chances are you're good to go. The valley pan can leak, but nearly all "rear main" and "valley pan" seal/gasket leaks are just valve cover gaskets. The oil pan might leak, but that is also an easy fix, and a good excuse to drop the pan to check for cam bearing material. If you find no cam bearing material, don't swap the engine.

There are valid reasons for swapping in a different engine. My favorite is "I wanted a different transmission and t-case, better gearing." Personally, if I wanted to keep the transmission, I'd go with a 440 Chrysler and use the 727 from a Ram Charger so that I could upgrade the t-case more easily.

Most people don't know what a pain it is to fab up the things needed to adapt a non-stock powertrain. It nickel and dimes you to death. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. It means you should do it because you're going toward a goal, going after something you really want.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

I think I'll stick with the IH engine. I was leaning that way, just needed someone to shove me over the rest of the way. Thanks for the input.