Thread: 72 1210 help

Default 72 1210 help

i have a 72 1210 camper special 4x4with a 392 and 727tf trans. The truck runs great around 30mph or until it warms up, but when you give it the gas it will spit and sputter then die, unless you throw it into low gear and floor it. also if it dies you have to wait a few hours before it will start. any ideas would be great. thanks
    this is what i was told to try and has not worked
    changed:
    coil
    points,
    condenser,
    rotor bug
    new plug wires
    run bypass on the ignition wire

A weak fuel pump, clogged fuel filter , moisture in the fuel lines or a vapor lock issue could cause similar problems.

Hard to tell from these symptoms, but it sounds like a vacuum leak kicking in when a temp valve opens, or a choke sticking as the engine warms up.

I suggest plugging the vacuum lines, including the vac advance, and see what happens. A vacuum gauge is an excellent tool for this type of problem.

I would first eliminate vacuum leaks, a defective vacuum advance diaphram, and a distributor that is not advancing mechanically.

It could also be a bad carb, but I would suggest making sure the choke is open after the engine warms up before anything else.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thanks for the ideas i will try them and let you know

I had similar issues with my Scout II. I had a glob of buildup in the carb which caused it to die around the same speed. It more than likely is the fuel/carb system which could stem from multiple locations