Thread: Head Lights

Default Head Lights

My headlights went out on my 72 Scout II.. I'm getting power and the lights are still good... Tail lights come on and everything works when I pull the switch....except my headlights.. which were working fine... any suggestions on where I should start.. oh yeah the front parking lights are working as well and blinkers too:.. very odd but I'm no good with electrical.. help if you know something i don't..

Sometimes the dimmer switch fails or just comes unplugged.

It's a 3 prong plug. One is hot. The other two are low or high. If you are getting voltage on one of the plug holes with the lights turned on, you can jumper to one of the other holes and you should get lights. From there, easy to trace if that's not the problem.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Default Head Lights

Looking for the 06 Black head and tail lights for purchase or hopefully trade for 05 red head and tails.

Default okay

thanks for the info... i figured it out

Quote Originally Posted by captaindreed View Post
    thanks for the info... i figured it out
    Was it something different? Every bit of experience helps.
    Allan E.

Default this one time...

I had a similar problem, it turned out to be a dirty connection on the floor dimmer switch.

Default Headlights

I'm battling headlight issues myself in my 74' Scout II. Mine was because I tried to upgrade to a Halogen conversion kit and found out about the internal 15 amp circuit breaker in the light switch while driving at night. Fun Stuff. Not sure if I have to put the stock ones back in or bypass the circuit breaker and install a bigger fuse?
    Found another problem spot to be is in the bulkhead electrical connection plug in the firewall.

i have a 70' scout, i put standard halogens on the rig...is that ok? i noticed that when i pull the switch i have a slight discharge in the system...new alternator or go back to the original style lamps?

Quote Originally Posted by dodge97 View Post
    i have a 70' scout, i put standard halogens on the rig...is that ok? i noticed that when i pull the switch i have a slight discharge in the system...new alternator or go back to the original style lamps?
    Rather than a new alternator, I just put on a smaller pulley for the one I have.

If I am going to upgrade the lights, I use the old beam lights to trip a relay, then use heavier wire from the battery to the relay to the lights. The Scout Ranch makes a kit for this if I recall correctly.
    Allan E.