Thread: Carb replacement in Smogland (Calif.)

Default Carb replacement in Smogland (Calif.)

Just bought an '80 ScoutII and while doing initial tune-up found out the Thermoquad 4bbl has a crack in the throttle body. I would really rather replace it with a Quadrajet/Edelbrock rather than hassle with a rebuild but am scared to death of smog problems.

Firstly, are there any model newer spreadbore carbs that have the exact same vacuum/smog ports as a thermoquad, and second, will I be flagged by the smog people for doing this? Has anyone else out there navigated this problem successfully in Ca.?

I live in Cali.. I would not get a post 75 vehicle. Lol that's just my rule with scouts..

I think it would have to be a CA approved carb to work with smog. Alot of the time... it could be "legal" but no one will certify it because they dont know and then u have to go to a ref.. which sucks.

Got any pics of your 1980?
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

I wish I had followed the same rule, but I came across this '80 that was such a good start for a project....I haven't posted any pictures yet but I will as soon as I get a moment.

I pretty much am leaning toward dealing with the TQ; I think I have found an intact plastic part that should work for a rebuild. If anybody has an alternative I'd love to hear it.

How much did u get it for? If the price was right.. There's no reason not to get it he he u could do a body swap.. Or just buy another one and take all the parts over ha ha I did that for a roll cage, steering wheel (mahogany) and a front D44 got the whole scout for 400$ got more then 600$ back selling the parts i didn't even need lol so i made 200$ and got a free d44 and full roll cage + a bunch a other spare parts.

-Mike
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.

~T.J.

Most of the smog inspection places will spot this. You can find an old quad on many old GM products. The plastic throttle bodies are often repairable with epoxy. I have given several away to friends who fixed them.

Of course, I chose not to live in a place where the inspections are required. That helped considerably. It's no fun to have inspections when you have 4 kids and a wife and a bunch of spare vehicles. Insurance is bad enough...
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

I have seriously considered setting up a residence in another state for this very reason! I really have no problems with the monitoring of emissions but why you can't swap any engine that has equal or better emissions numbers makes no sense. I like old vehicles better than new ones and its a pain to always be worried about the dreaded "gross polluter" tag.

YEAH it makes no sense.. And if you wana get really angry.. read this!

http://gas2.org/2009/06/03/one-conta...-million-cars/

The implications if this is true are so massive.. the entire C.A.R.B. initiative complete BS.

~T.J.