Thread: Soft top

Default Soft top

12-09-2009 11:38 AMdugan777
    Does anyone have specs for fasttrack style soft tops? I'm looking into making one for my scout II. Any info on the tracks, hole templates, support bars, canvas, etc. Drawings photos would be super helpful. I can't seem to find a new or used one of this style so just going to try to make one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by dugan777 View Post
    12-09-2009 11:38 AMdugan777
    Does anyone have specs for fasttrack style soft tops? I'm looking into making one for my scout II. Any info on the tracks, hole templates, support bars, canvas, etc. Drawings photos would be super helpful. I can't seem to find a new or used one of this style so just going to try to make one myself.
    I can't really help with that, but I always thought I would build some supports to compliment the lines of the roll cage, then piece the sides, top, and rear sections together, then have zippers sewn on or eyelets installed so I could lash weave it. Have the snaps installed across the front, even make a piece that uses the screw holes used by the hard top. I don't know what material to order, including windows, and I don't have an upholsterer grade sewing machine.

A good boat shop should be able to handle it, especially if you make the pattern for them.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Yes I was thinking about going to a boat yard for the canvas work. I guess I am more interested in how the assembly works. I have not seen one installed in person and from the few online pics I have found, I have been unable to see how the tracks attach and how the top attaches to tracks. Are there tracks on tailgate and windsheild or does it snap? I'm trying to avoid snaps at all costs. Also I don't have a rollbar and do not want to install one, I'm assuming I don't need one and some kind of fold down supports can be made for open air driving. Again any diagrams, photos, drawings of how the fasttrack style tops are assembled and attached would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by dugan777 View Post
    Yes I was thinking about going to a boat yard for the canvas work. I guess I am more interested in how the assembly works. I have not seen one installed in person and from the few online pics I have found, I have been unable to see how the tracks attach and how the top attaches to tracks. Are there tracks on tailgate and windsheild or does it snap? I'm trying to avoid snaps at all costs. Also I don't have a rollbar and do not want to install one, I'm assuming I don't need one and some kind of fold down supports can be made for open air driving. Again any diagrams, photos, drawings of how the fasttrack style tops are assembled and attached would be greatly appreciated.

there are aluminum cap you put on top of the bed rails or where the factory top would rest. they look like this.
    __
    l l
    l
    l__________

The top has plastic pieces on the bottom of the flaps that hook in and are pulled up by tension.

I tried to take my truck before I sold it to a boat yard and as soon as she saw it she started in on how much work it would be. Might be better businesses out there. Also check into places that replace camper canvas like pop ups.

Quote Originally Posted by jtl1100 View Post
    there are aluminum cap you put on top of the bed rails or where the factory top would rest. they look like this.
    __
    l l
    l
    l__________

The top has plastic pieces on the bottom of the flaps that hook in and are pulled up by tension.

I tried to take my truck before I sold it to a boat yard and as soon as she saw it she started in on how much work it would be. Might be better businesses out there. Also check into places that replace camper canvas like pop ups.
    __
    l l
    l
    l__________

I have a fastrak top and love it!!
    The onlt issue is the plastic breaking on the corners at the rear.
    If you need pictures, let me know and I will lift it up.
    If you are going to make new tops, let me know. I would like to have a backup top....
    Thanks
    Rob