Thread: 345 engine conversion.. to a 440?

Default 345 engine conversion.. to a 440?

hi, has anyone done an engine conversion to their 345 Scout? i'm thinking it maybe easier for me to swap the IH 345 over for a Chrysler 440 as sourcing any 345 parts here in Australia is difficult. basically i'm after any information on how difficult it is to do the swap, like does the 727 Torqueflight trans bolt straight up to the 440, any issues with sump clearance or engine mounts?

i hope this doesn't upset anyone
    thanks

the 440 will not bolt up to the 345 tranny. the transmission that you have are IH specifc they will only fit 266,304,345,392 IH motors.

If you come up with a 727 that is mated to a 440, the tailshaft housings will swap, so you can use the transfer case and BBC transmission. This requires disassembly of the transmission, but the internal parts swap over.

The 727 was cast for the specific engine series, so small block to big block chrysler, AMC, IH, all different bell housing patterns.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

I know it's possible... I knew a guy who did it to one of his Scouts, and he loved it. I think he did a complete powertrain swap though.