Thread: Stiff Shifter on Auto Xmission

Default Stiff Shifter on Auto Xmission

Over the last month, the shifter on the auto transmission on my 78 Scout II (345 cu in) has started to get stiff. It hasn't been that cold yet so I don't think its cold fluid. I took it to the place where the transmission was rebuilt several years back and he a thought it was probably stiff cable linkage from the shifter to the transmission. He didn't think anything internal to the transmission would cause that symptom. Has anybody had experience with this problem? I can't fugure out a failure mechanism with the cable that would have come on so fast.

Hunting started here on 20 Nov and have have driven through some water (not clean water, but not mud) that was as much a 8 -12 inches deep. I am not sure how that would cause a problem.

Any help or comment is appreciated.

Thanks

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Rose View Post
    Over the last month, the shifter on the auto transmission on my 78 Scout II (345 cu in) has started to get stiff. It hasn't been that cold yet so I don't think its cold fluid. I took it to the place where the transmission was rebuilt several years back and he a thought it was probably stiff cable linkage from the shifter to the transmission. He didn't think anything internal to the transmission would cause that symptom. Has anybody had experience with this problem? I can't fugure out a failure mechanism with the cable that would have come on so fast.

Hunting started here on 20 Nov and have have driven through some water (not clean water, but not mud) that was as much a 8 -12 inches deep. I am not sure how that would cause a problem.

Any help or comment is appreciated.

Thanks

John
    What have you done to clean and lubricate the shifter and the linkage and cable so far? Maybe all you need is to wash it and lube it up? You can tell by removing the cable whether it's the transmission linkage or not, but I wouldn't do it that way until I was sure the cable was okay. If you get underneath and look, you will see how it works. It must be cleaned and lubricated.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Default stiff shifter

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

No I have not done any maintenance to the cable. I was going to go underneath the Scout today. How big a deal is it to remove one end of the cable? Which end would you suggest?

John

Ditto to Allen E.
    I had the same issue and I replaced the cable. Problem went away but the pain in my arm took a LOT longer to subside.
    Just an FYI, I have tried lubing cables over the years and have found that the time vs cost for replacement, replacement wins everytime. But then again, this is my daily driver so I want it to work as designed.
    Hope it helps.