Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 80-800 body parts

Default 80-800 body parts

will the 80 doors and end caps transfer onto my 71 800B

Yes, but the internals of the two different doors are NOT the same. You will have to keep your old internals in order to mount the 80 doors on your 800. The end caps should be replaceable no problem.

i dont have the doors from mine at all so is there any other way of using the 80 internals and also do you know how hard removing the end caps is? thanks for your help sorry for being a PITA

No PITA... that's what this site is here for. Personally I've never removed any end caps except to replace them with brand new ones, but I do know there are qiute a few tack welds you'll need to be able to break. The best way to do that is heat them up with an oxy-acetalene torch and put some gentle pressure on them until they "snap" and give way.

For the doors, it's not the internals so much as it is the latching mechanisms. Those (the 80 style) would be easier to get a hold of since you don't have any doors on your 800 at all. Stu Simpson will most likely have what you need. He's the 80/800 parts guy. And since I'm not too familiar with how the latches work, he'll be the one to talk to about what all to replace.

If you could post any info on installing 80 doors on a 800 it would be appreciated. I bought two perfect doors to what I thought was a 800a ( mine came with no doors too ). Took a couple of weeks to get around to installing them and very quickly noticed that the mounting hardware was different. I decided to get the strike plates and dove tail hardware from an 80 and try to go that way. However, it has been way to cold for me to actually try installing the doors and new hardware. It appears that it might be fairly simple. I probably won't get around to it until the spring though. I may post on craigslist to see if anyone has 800 doors and need 80 doors.

Anyway, Mike down at IH Only gave me a very good deal on all of the mounting hardware for an 80. You may want to check with him if you decide to go that route.

im fixing to head home for christmas break so ill get to mess with her a little bit i hope i can get the doors on and let you know how it turns out

Default end cap installation

Quote Originally Posted by jr90 View Post
    i dont have the doors from mine at all so is there any other way of using the 80 internals and also do you know how hard removing the end caps is? thanks for your help sorry for being a PITA
    There are 2 ways to remove/replace end caps on an 80/800.

1. Drill out all of the spot welds to the entire rear 1/4 panel and end cap as an assembly, at which point you gain access to the spot welds between the end cap and the 1/4 panel. This is the way a body shop would do it. Then, you need to have a friend come over and help align panels so you can register how they sit for actual fitment on the truck. Reweld the caps onto the 1/4, blast/prime (weld-thru primer)/paint or partially rustproof inside. Then reattach entire assembly onto the Scout and do whatever fairing/painting you wish to do.

2. Cut off end cap on the end cap side of the joint between the 1/4 and the cap, drilling out spot welds in the tailgate area. Drill out the spot welds between the remnants of the end cap and the 1/4. Enlarge the spot weld holes, blast, prime, paint and rustproof the insides. Drill out the flanges of the "new" endcap to as near the same as the holes on the 1/4 flanges. Prime/paint/rustproof the inside of the endcap. Take care of any electrical work and fitment of the light bucket while you are in there. Make some registration marks on the cap and body, then mix top-quality thickened epoxy and dollup it on every drilled out hole and butter a little on the flanges. Press it on and hold it by hand until it has set. You may be able to partially clamp it or run a couple of sheetmetal screws into the tailgate/inner 1/4 flange if you have registered them properly. Do this in a very warm environment or it will take hours. Preheat the panels if necessary. You really have to push it on hard to squeeze the epoxy through the holes. Have a buddy relieve you periodically if need be. Keep a space heater pointed towards it....try to achieve at least 100* near the project. The epoxy acts both as a glue and as a rivet of sorts. It is as strong as steel if mixed properly. In the future if you need to remove it you can heat it with a propane torch and the epoxy will melt and you can get it off with a table knife.

I always recommend procedure #2. You SHOULD buy the fiberglass end caps for $126 each from Kentrol and do it yourself. You will love the results, be ecstatic you did it yourself and never have to worry about rust again. I don't care if you have been unemployed for 10 years, the project time this saves not to mention the effort is worth the $ for the end caps. You can stop worrying if that end cap from 1800 miles away has any rust in it. Also, isn't that better than the $300 each NOS steel end caps that the parts jokers put out there?

i went to a junk yard today and picked up the top i found off of an 80 which is in pretty good shape while i was there i got an end cap and tailgate. i managed to talk them into letting me cut the end cap off at the quarter and i was going to drill out the spot welds then cut my old end cap off and drill out those welds.

i didnt get the doors because im hoping to find some with roll up windows in them so sorry i wont be able to post anything on doing the 80-800 door swap.

Default thank you stu now I will need at least half a dozen glass endcaps

I love my early 80's with the fold down windshield and have caught the fever now I want many more than the 3 I already have THANK YOU

I just brought home 800 doors for my '63 80. Unfortunatly the guy didnt have the latching hardware from the door jam. If anyone has extras that they would be willing to part with let me know.

Also, any advice on this swap would be greatly appreciated