Thread: castor problems

Default castor problems

Hello. I have a '78 Scout II. I put a 4" suspension lift on (underaxle). New ball joints, new axle U-joints, new driveshaft u-joints, new drag link and ends, new tie-rod ends, new shackles, 6 degree wedges on front, and passenger side leveling blocks. Went to have it aligned. camber: front left, 1.2 degrees front right, .9 degrees (both fall into the specified range of .5 to 1.5 degrees). Toe: front left, .01in. front right, .01in (both fall into the specified range of .00 to .06in). Castor: front left, -6.9 degrees, front right, -7.8 degrees (neither side fell into the specified range of -1.0 degree). Handling is still "squirrelly." It was my understanding that an underaxle lift like this did not need axle housing cutting and turning. Is this correct? Will a dropped pitman arm, reverse shackles, and higher wedges work? Or is cutting and turning the only remedy?

The new shackles I installed are 5" center to center. This effects castor. On hindsight, reverse shackles would have been better to install. I don't particularly understand reverse shackles. In other words, do I need to buy a kit or can I move the new front shackles to the rear of the front tire well and reinstall the stock shackles to the front? Advice is appreciated.

Default castor problem figured out

Had 6 degree wedges in front. Using 6 degree wedges to align pinion with front drive shaft. Messed up caster. Removed 6 degree wedges. Caster restored to proper specs. Drives good. Learning as I go.

Quote Originally Posted by john sigler View Post
    Had 6 degree wedges in front. Using 6 degree wedges to align pinion with front drive shaft. Messed up caster. Removed 6 degree wedges. Caster restored to proper specs. Drives good. Learning as I go.
    I never worried too much about pinion angle on a 4 inch spring lift. If the driveshaft binds, I fix the driveshaft so it won't bind. As long as it won't break on the trail, I figure I can replace the u-joints every year and call it good. I don't drive anywhere in 4wd that vibration would affect anyway. Caster is really the issue. Yes, you should cut and turn, but I'm not unhappy about the handling on mine, so I live with it.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak