Thread: Thrown Rod

Default Thrown Rod

I know that the 258 AMC isn't an IH motor, but I'm curious as to what the symptoms would be for a busted/thrown rod. How loud would the knocking be? Also, how hard is the Rear Main seal to get to on these motors since it needs to be changed.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

Quote Originally Posted by okkool77 View Post
    I know that the 258 AMC isn't an IH motor, but I'm curious as to what the symptoms would be for a busted/thrown rod. How loud would the knocking be? Also, how hard is the Rear Main seal to get to on these motors since it needs to be changed.
    It would be loud.

You should drop the pan and check. At the very least, you can figure it out with a compression check. A thrown rod means no movement of the piston.

I can't help you with the rear seal, but I would bet you could figure it out simply by looking at the seal. I doubt it is a rope seal. Probably has to go over the end of the crank, and you'll no doubt have to pull the flywheel.

I would check to see what the noise is, then pull the engine. I've been told they aren't that hard to rebuild, and they aren't all that hard to come by. The AMC V8 engines use the same bell housings, so an AMC (not IH) 304, 360, or 401 would also bolt in if you fabbed up the mounts.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

I've been wanting to pull the motor and re-build it now for over a year...
    But when its your DD, its kinda hard to have it down for that period of time.

But the noise, it sounds similar to when the motor is running low on oil...yet I'm full according to the dipstick and I just changed the oil last week and put 5 quarts in.
    I'm thinking that I should pull the valve cover and see if I have a rocker bolt that is loose.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012