Thread: 67 Travelall high beam switch

Default 67 Travelall high beam switch

It seems this T'all is missing everything that wasn't absolutely required for driving it. It had no high beam switch in it. I ordered one and it should arrive sometime this week.

Any suggestions on how to hook it up? Even knowing how the switch works would be helpful. There are some wires around int he general area that seem to be twisted together, 4 wires in all. Does the switch function like an A/B box and either the low beam is on or the high beam is on?

Thanks.

Default headlight switch.

The 'on/off' switch for all the lights would be mounted in the dash. The 'selector switch' for the high or low beams will be on the floor near the clutch - or just on the 'left side'. Held in place with 2 screws. Operated by your left foot (usually).

Yes, it's just a hot feed with a foot activated DPST switch. If the wires are twisted together and the headlights are on, chances are you have both the high and low beams working at the same time. I don't know why there would be 4 wires, though. I would have thought 3 or 5. Maybe the 4th wire is the high beam light on your speedometer, so it would short to the high beam wire that feeds the headlights.

Chances are also good that the switch does not come with a socket, so you may need to look around for the socket.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thanks Allan. I will verify how many wires are actually there maybe I miscounted.

There are a total of 4 wires. A green one that lights the dash indicator light. The other 3 were twisted together and all of them were black. Two were twisted together and wires both terminates at a female connector. These two where then connected to a female connector on the end of the left over black wire.

One of the paired wires controlled the head lights and marker lights and I noted which wire had current at the headlight socket. The other paired wire seemed to do nothing, I checked the voltage at the other terminal at the head light socket and it registered between .69V - .99V whether it was paired or unpaired. Also, the working headlight didn't get get any brighter or dimmer if the paired wires were paired or unpaired. I am not sure if the high beams work on the working head light. I will check the wires coming to the headlamp socket tomorrow.

I wanted to verify that I understand how this setup works. When the high beam switch is not activated, it runs current to one terminal to the headlight socket. When the switch is activate, does it run current to both terminals in the socket and the high beam and low beam filaments are lit? Or does it switch which terminal it runs current to. Effectively turning the low beam filament off and the high beam on?

Thanks.

You should have 3 wires besides the indicator one, power from the headlight switch- high beam- low beam, when you hit the switch it connects the power from headlight switch to high or low beam circuit. The switch is a spdt not a dpst.
    73 1210 4x4 Travelette 5 spd. 392
    300 utility tractor
    64 Scout 80-152/ weber 32/36
    80 PARTS for 2 scouts
    73 Scout2, 304.4 spd. runs almost rust free!
    Member, Sonora Desert Scouts

Quote Originally Posted by timscout1 View Post
    You should have 3 wires besides the indicator one, power from the headlight switch- high beam- low beam, when you hit the switch it connects the power from headlight switch to high or low beam circuit. The switch is a spdt not a dpst.
    My first reaction was "who said it was a dpst?" Then I looked and saw it was me.

Dyslexics of the world untie!
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Quote Originally Posted by Allan E. View Post
    My first reaction was "who said it was a dpst?" Then I looked and saw it was me.

Dyslexics of the world untie!
    To bad we can't all be purrfect all the time, I've done it also.
    73 1210 4x4 Travelette 5 spd. 392
    300 utility tractor
    64 Scout 80-152/ weber 32/36
    80 PARTS for 2 scouts
    73 Scout2, 304.4 spd. runs almost rust free!
    Member, Sonora Desert Scouts

I know have low and high beams. The Hi-Beam fuse was broken at the very end ( up in the cap ). I replaced it and everything is good now. My HID headlight conversion should be here this week, so just in time.