Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transporting Tops Puzzler

Default Transporting Tops Puzzler

I just bought my first International Scout after years of only Jeeps, and I am driving this '71 800B home. Problem is, it not only has a full top, but includes 2 half cab tops - how in the world am I going to drive home 400 miles safely and comfortably in this frigid weather with all 3 tops?! Can the 2 half cabs fit inside the scout with the tailgate closed? Could I mount one of the half cabs normally, then reverse mount the full top behind it (maybe with 2"x4"s between the rails), then strap down the other half cab under it with the tailgate down? Arg!!! This is complicated w/o having the measurements!
    Last edited by davylowman; 12-14-2009 at 08:38 AM.

.... I think your may be SOL lol, I think a u-haul trailer, 2 trips, or .... not something safe are your only choices "Scratches head"
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

I highly doubt it'll all fit under the main hard top. I'd go with a trailer myself for the full top and one of the half cabs. Mount the other half cab to the rig in order to conserve as much heat in the cab as possible.

A standard auto transport trailer for local use, or even an open trailer, like the kind you haul fertilizer from the supply store, and some padding so you can lash it down. Either way, it's a two day rental unless you move fast. Is there a hitch on the scout you can safely use? 400 miles isn't hard to do in a day, but that's at 60 mph. At 50, it's 8 hours. You would have to dead head it to get the local rate. The one way rate is much higher, I suspect, but maybe not.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Unfortunately, there is no trailer hitch. Could I bolt on the full top, bolt the 2 half cabs together, then strap them to the top? Visually, it would look like the Scout had 2 aerodynamic fins on the top. Heck, I don't mind drilling a couple holes in the full top to fasten them, since it needs repainting... Is weight going to be an issue?

To start from another angle... Would one half cab fit inside the full top?
    Last edited by davylowman; 12-14-2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Clarification

I would assume you could fit a half cab inside the cargo area if you had the full top on it. Be a very tight fit, but I think it should work. In my opinion though, full tops aren't exactly hard to come by, but the half cabs are. I'd put a half cab on it for driving purposes and strap the second one in the back and leave the hard top for another day.

I spoke with the owner today, and he told me that the 2nd half cab is in rough shape. If it seems like a total waste of space, I'll debate picking it on another trip. If it looks like both half cabs look great, I'll just leave the full top. I believe I have some options here I can work with. If anyone has any other ideas, please post! Thanks for the advice, guys.

could you put the two half tops together and then stick them in the back with the full top bolted on

Hmm. Does anyone know whether half tops fit together like spoons?