Thread: pcv valve grommet problems

Default pcv valve grommet problems

As I was pulling out the pcv grommet, a chunk of it fell into the engine and I am unable to get it out. So it looks like I am going to tear into the engine to get it out. I was wondering if there are any suggestions on things I should replace while I am in there. I was thinking a new manifold and carb, but I dont know what set up to get or if it is worth it. I have a 345 with a holley 2 barrel paired to an auto 727.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Quinlan View Post
    As I was pulling out the pcv grommet, a chunk of it fell into the engine and I am unable to get it out. So it looks like I am going to tear into the engine to get it out. I was wondering if there are any suggestions on things I should replace while I am in there. I was thinking a new manifold and carb, but I dont know what set up to get or if it is worth it. I have a 345 with a holley 2 barrel paired to an auto 727.

Thanks
    You could replace the intake manifold with a 4 barrell, not hard to find, but remember, 4 barrel carbs also cost money. The manifolds come in both spreadbore and squarebore, found on 392 and later 345 scout engines. Once you remove the valley pan, cleaning out the chunks will be easy. Good time to inspect the lifters for wear. You can change them through the push rod holes, but with the valley pan and intake off, it's soooo much easier. Since you're looking at the bottom of the lifters, you may as well look at the cam. If it turns out you need to change the cam, stop everything, pull the engine, and do it right. There is a plate on the back of the engine that should come off for installation of the rear cam bearing.
    Allan E.
    Curmudgeon Extraordinaire
    Charter Member, Old Hippie IH Club
    Old fashioned binder freak

Thank you very much. I appreciate it.