Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 74 Scout Build

Default My 74 Scout Build

I thought it was time to share my build thread before I forget everything I have done. Some of you may have seen this on the other sites so forgive the copy.
    The story starts about 12 months ago when I bought this 74 on Ebay, boy was my wife "happy" with me. Here's what it looked like when I got it.

When it arrived it leaked tranny fluid like crazy, I had intentions of parting it out but when I pulled the tranny (a 727) I found the TC had a crack in the seal surface, $80 later and the excellent info in Michael's post on band adjustment it shifts like a dream.
    One thing the PO did halfway right was to put a new diamond plate floor that is strong enough to support anything. But when he did that he did not repair the body mounts, so the scout was pretty much sitting on the frame. After repairing those and new OEM bushings and a 2" body lift here's what she started to look like.

Other things that have been done are as follows:
    Helicoil for 1 spark plug on the 345
    Rebuild the 2210 carb, again thanks to Michael's excellent post and helpful advice.
    New steering sector and Borgensen kit
    New front shocks, Jeff is advising Bilstiens.
    New Bucket seats (APC's) and pedestals
    New Steering wheel (Grant)
    New door seals all the way around
    Made a roll bar and got a bikini top
    New set of 31x0.5's BF Goodrich AT
    5" shackles in rear
    New exhaust system with Flowmasters
    CD player and speakers
    New door to window seals
    Custom center console
    Swepco oil also.

Oh yea I forgot to mention the passenger side door was welded shut, body mounts and some cutting got it to work again.

I have done some body work but as you can tell I have aways to go, still hope to get it painted this spring, times wasting.

The latest project was putting in Add-a-Leafs all the way around. I did this more so to strengthen the springs but I did get a little more lift also. Just finished that project last night. Here are some pics as she sits now.

Unfortunately most of the work to date is the kind not readily noticeable. I did paint the hood IH Red one day, just fooling around.

I would like to add almost all my parts have come from IHON.
    Thanks

More to come
    Ron McElroy
    Nebraska
    Last edited by ronmc; 12-18-2009 at 12:39 AM.
    Ron Mc
    1975 Scout II
    1974 Scout II
    1965 IH pickup----sold it

More pictures:

More to come
    Ron Mc
    1975 Scout II
    1974 Scout II

HI everyone; I thought I had to post a progress report for my 74. I have been doing some bodywork and painting I have got a ways to go but today I think the metal work is done. The patch panels have been a challenge to say the least. The 2 patches to the rear of the doors had to be completely rebuilt inside and out.
    You will see the 5th pic is of the pass side behind the door has an extra piece welded on the bottom, as near as I can tell the rocker was not installed right at one point or another, if I lowered the patch to line up with the bottom then the arch of the wheel well would not line up.
    All in all I am pretty happy with the results, although there are probably better ways (professional) of doing it but it works for me.
    Last 2 pics are the final color, painted so far are 2 doors, tailgate, grill and hood. I hope to have it all painted soon:crazy: I want to drive it again.
    Here are a few pictures of the work so far:

continued
    Ron Mc
    1975 Scout II
    1974 Scout II

Last edited by ronmc; 12-18-2009 at 05:21 AM.
    Ron Mc
    1975 Scout II
    1974 Scout II

Well, I've been hard at it. I thought I would post up a sneak preview, before I pull it out of the shop. Everthing is painted except the top. Just re-assembly now. I have had a little disapointment the parts I painted 2/3 weeks ago seem to be darker than the fenders. I am hoping since the fenders just got painted this am that they will darken up after it cures a few days, not likly I know but I will live with it for know. When I get the top ready this fall I might pull the doors and re-paint.
    Anyway here are the pics:

Ron
    Last edited by ronmc; 12-18-2009 at 12:05 AM.
    Ron Mc
    1975 Scout II
    1974 Scout II

I changed to a HVLP gun plus the "parts" might have 1 or 2 extra coats, it depends on how many mistakes I made. Bummer put it still looks 100 times better than it did. Rust is gone, doors work, and it shines even if it is 2-toned
    Anyway you asked for it so here is the 74 IH Scout II!!!!!

Thanks
    Ron

P.S. Boy the 2 tone really shows up in the pics
    Ron Mc
    1975 Scout II
    1974 Scout II

Since then, I have painted the hard top black and installed a new head liner. Plans are to repaint this spring, hopefully doing it right this time.
    live and learn
    Ron
    Ron Mc
    1975 Scout II
    1974 Scout II

I'm going to hit the "Like" button here. Nice job, even with the paint snafu.

I agree, very clean rig. I like the interior a lot
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

Thanks for the comments guys. I will try to get some pics with the top on posted, and Mike I will try to get a pic of the new headliner it matches the red on the outside, pretty close. I think it looks pretty cool.
    Ron
    Ron Mc
    1975 Scout II
    1974 Scout II