Thread: Scout Wheels

Default Scout Wheels

Hi guys, my name is Tom and I am looking into purchasing my first scout. Upon sale of my '64 volkswagen I have my eye on a gem in the southwest for my first scout project. One question that I have not been able to figure out is, are there any available adapter kits to run 6 lug wheels on the 5 lug scout axles? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, any old scout knowledge that I should know about before I go shopping? Ie. do scouts display any stereotypical signs of a bad purchase or is there a really undesireable combination of parts that i should look out for? any help would be great! thank you!

Tom

well the first thing rust. floor panels rear fenders body mounts and look out for what ever the prior owner did to it

You can find adapters for pretty much anything you want to do. The lug pattern on Scouts is the same as old Ford's and Dodge's... 5 on 5.5"

Sounds good, I found some adapters online and will probably end up using them. Next question though, i know there is probably something already on the site some where, but does anyone have an opinion on what lift kits are better for the scouts? Im thinking that I will probably do the 4" lift kit, and have heard that rough country is exactly as the name would imply, really rough. Ive heard that the skyjacker is a good choice but it is pretty expensive. Any input? Any opinions on how much lift I really need? Id like to be able to put 305 tires on it...

You've pretty much described for yourself what you're going to hear from everyone else here. Other than using the Triangle lift (which some say is the best, but also the most expensive). The skyjacker is smoother but can't handle the load capacity the rough country can. But the rough country you sacrifice a lot of ride comfort to get that. Otherwise, buy yourself a nice set of old chevy axles and do a spring over conversion.