Thread: Scout 80 tub vs. 800 tub

Default Scout 80 tub vs. 800 tub

Is the tub off of a Scout 80 identical to those of a 800?

I don't believe so, but then again I drive the scout 2's.
    But I'm sure that they can be made to fit.
    '71 Basterd Scout 2
    with a 258 from a '73 CJ5
    Intake manifold with NHRA markings....go figure

"Its (scout) four-wheel-drive capabilities are equal to anything this side of full tracks"

David H. Petraeus for President 2012

I'm not completely sure that they're exact same. They had different engines, and one had the fold down windshield like on the jeeps and a dashboard, but I think they were structurally the same, so the tubs should fit. There were some mechanical differences such as axles, one had a dana 18, and the other had a dana 40. The design of the firewall was also different.

Quote Originally Posted by burtonone55 View Post
    I'm not completely sure that they're exact same. They had different engines, and one had the fold down windshield like on the jeeps and a dashboard, but I think they were structurally the same, so the tubs should fit. There were some mechanical differences such as axles, one had a dana 18, and the other had a dana 40. The design of the firewall was also different.
    The scout 80's had dana 27's front and rear as did some early 800's, the later 8oo's had dana 44 rears and dana 30's for the front. The dana 18 is a transfercase and I have never heard of a dana 40. Also some of the later 800's had v8's in them and there were some minor differences in crosmembers and the doghouse in the firewall. It would help to know more about the tub, but it should fit with little work.
    73 1210 4x4 Travelette 5 spd. 392
    300 utility tractor
    64 Scout 80-152/ weber 32/36
    80 PARTS for 2 scouts
    73 Scout2, 304.4 spd. runs almost rust free!
    Member, Sonora Desert Scouts

I-6 and v8 800s had different frame and tub body mount locations, the mounts positioned the tub higher off the frame and the tubs are slid forward a couple of inches relative to the I-4 models. The I-4 models had a radiator core support and front frame crossmember deeper than that of the I-6 and v8s. The inner fenders are different between the I-4 and v8 800s, with the driver's inner fender relieved to accept the steering column that went to the box outside the frame rail. Most Scout 80s had a single location for a transmission crossmember while the 800 had a rail with holes drilled into it on each inside frame rail to accept the several engine and transmission variations that were offered. The transmission tunnel covers had minor differences to accomodate the varous transmission locations and heights. Doors do not easily interchange between 80s and 800s. The 61 to mid-63 tops do not interchange either, and earliest Scout 80s (all of 61 and some of 1962) had fixed bulkheads. In addition to the forementioned dash/windshield difference, the Scout 80 and 65-66 800s did not have the firewall bump-in that the later 800s had to give some breathing room to the higher deck height of the 196. One interesting strange difference in 1961 to mid 63 80s is that they did not have bulkhead connectors, so if one wants to transplant an early tub onto a later 63 through 71 Scout there is no true perforation to accept your bulkhead connectors. 61 to mid-63 Scout 80s also had a different underhood air plenum that went across the firewall over the engine as opposed to all later 80s and 800s that directed heat through a single hole in the passenger side. Those early 80s also had the fan and heater core on the driver's side. The earliest Scout 80s had a removeable rear frame 'crossmember'. Last minor things I can think of would be backup lights on none of the 80s, many or most 800s, and all 800A/Bs. 800A/Bs also had side reflectors which fit into perforations or cutouts in the body panels. 800A/Bs also had a very different rear spare tire carrier that would be difficult to install on a Scout 80 unless you had all of the proper specific parts.

None of this is really a huge game breaking difference, all of it can be worked around.

What are you planning to do? Or hoping to do?

I was thinking about getting this Scout 80 and swapping the body off of it for the one on my 800. Thanks for all of the info, very thorough

If you are going to use the 80 body on the v8 800, thats a good bit of work. Some of the above issues will come into play if you use an early 80 tub .....or need one.... Easier if it is the other way around which is what you look to be doing the way I read it. Still a good bit of body mount work (not completely necessary though) and will need relocation of the radiator core support back deeper into the engine bay. Plus a new front body mount, somewhere. You will likely need to do some minor work to the front of the trans tunnel and doghouse as the tub will be slid back and the 3 speed shifter location is a bit further forward on the 800 tub relative to the 80 tub.

I was thinking about using a 80 body on the v8 800. That is definately more work than I wanted to put into it. I think for the 392 scout 800 I will just finish putting it together, try an electric fan on it and sell it. Although the 392 might be nice in my 67 Travelall but probably way more power than I would ever need or use.

Thanks again.