Thread: thread size

Default thread size

Did International come up with their own proprietary thread size? I have looked at a couple different hardware stores for bolts/screws to replace door mounting, door latch mounting and headlight adjusting screws with no luck. The hardware store people seem puzzled. Is there a tap and die set that would work for these thread patterns? Is there a place I can get some of these? I have found the door mounting screws at anythingscout.com but not for the door latches and headlight adjustments.

Thanks.

I know the mounting screws are a lot longer than ones you can get in a parts store; last time I had to replace them I bought a couple different sets and made them work. One set for the blue plastic mount and one set for the screw length. The door latches I was able to find some that worked from O'Reilly's in the specialty bolt section. As long as we're talking about a Scout II here that is...

I guess I should have specified. I am talking about a Scout 800. Thanks though. I will try O'Reilly's and see what they have

IH used standard American bolts and threads not metric and they are available everywhere except for the correct head styles. Bolts are 5/16" x 18 or 24 threads and 3/8"x 16 and 24 threads. Headlight adjusters are on the HELP rack at the parts house, you will have to match the bolt and plastic nut to what you have,it won't be in the parts book. sometimes you can reuse your nut?
    73 1210 4x4 Travelette 5 spd. 392
    300 utility tractor
    64 Scout 80-152/ weber 32/36
    80 PARTS for 2 scouts
    73 Scout2, 304.4 spd. runs almost rust free!
    Member, Sonora Desert Scouts

i would try a bolt specialty store like fastenal. but i thought they were very standard nuts and bolts that ih used

Thank guys. I am thinking they just don't have things like this in a tiny hardware store on Vashon Island (WA). So if I bought a tap and die set for american threads it should contain a tap and die that would work for these IH bolts?

timscout1, yeah I can definately reuse the plastic nut. Between wire brushing, WD40 and turning the stripped phillips heads into standard heads with a Dremel tool I got everythign working again. Will probably just put them in and pack the threads full of grease to stave off the rust for a bit. I would like to clean them up with a die if possible.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the info. Merry hoho.