Thread: Scout 800 with 392

Default Scout 800 with 392

I was told this 70 Scout had a 345 in it. The line set ticket said it came with a 304. I cleaned off the plate to check for sure and it actually has a 392. I was hoping for the 304.

The numbers are:
    V392E

What can I find out about the motor based upon this information? Anyone have good/bad experience with a 392 in a scout 800 or anything I should look out for? How can I identify the transmission in it? All I know is that its an automatic.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have been flirting with a Scout II becoming an 800, sounds like someone made a good start for you
    Desperately trying to get rid of the Scooby stripe and recently ordered lift!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Originally Posted by NVScouter
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Sweet then you can throw bullet hole stickers and stuff on em and drive around saying RAWR!!!!!!!!!

Does it still have the weak D27 axle..? A 392 with a dana 27 (or a 30) is gonna be bad news i would think ha ha
    -72 Scout2 - SBC350 with RV camshaft, 4 speed manual Trans, D20 xfer case with CV drive shafts.
    -Dana 44 Detroit locker rear.
    -Dana 44 (out of a 75) Rebuilt /w trutrac limited slip frnt

~Conquest is not in our principles. It is inconsistent with our government.

~T.J.

it is either a 727 or borg-warner does the bellhousing come apart or is it all one piece if the bell housing comes off it is a borg warner

WarlordX, I need to check to see what axle it has now. It originally came with a D30 but someone could have swapped it.

john breeze, I will look at the transmission today or tomorrow. Thanks for the info.

At this point I think I will put it back together, make sure its safe and sell it, it is way more than I want/need. As another option, I may put the 392 in my '67 Travelall and the 304 out of the Travelall in the Scout. However, all the wheel flare have been cut and I was looking for something more stock. Decisions, decisions....

Biggest issue will be trying to keep it cool. The stock 800 radiator is too small and there is no space to install any electric fans on the front of the radiator. Some folks run 345s and half claim that they stay cool as long as you keep moving, others claim they get nervous at the high operating temps. My feeling is that if the the 345 is past borderline the 392 will run too hot. If there is no fan shroud you are guaranteed to roast it.

I was thinking heat may be an issue. Not sure what I am going to do now. Probably end up trying to sell it and get another 800 with a 4 cylinder or 304. I could swap it into my Travelall and put its 304 in the Scout but I don't really have any need for an engine that big.